Style > Beauty

Skincare Review Series: Cleanser Edition

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

We covered moisturizers and lip balms — now it’s time for the underrated MVPs. Cleansers are an essential part of the most basic skincare routine. Without applying it daily to get rid of makeup, sunscreen and general grime from sweat, oil and air pollution, you run the risk of having a not-so-great skincare day.

Luckily, I’ve tried a decent collection of water and oil-based cleansers to help narrow down your search.

Disclaimer: This review is written from the perspective of someone with a dry, resilient skin type. If you have oily and/or sensitive skin, your experience may differ from mine.

Water-Based Cleansers

1. PHILOSOPHY: PURITY MADE SIMPLE ($54)

This was the first cleanser I had ever tried when building my first skincare routine. It was recommended by a good friend of mine for its high popularity, which is certainly no joke. This award-winning cleanser has 12.6K reviews on Sephora and is wish-listed by almost 200K people!

Summary: Recently formulated without parabens, this is known to be one of Philosophy’s most top-selling products. With its gel-like consistency, it can be used by all skin types and targets dryness, dullness, and pore-related concerns. One of its note-worthy ingredients is meadowfoam seed oil, which hydrates skin throughout the cleansing process without leaving it feeling stripped. It’s designed to melt away impurities while toning so it leaves your skin clean, hydrated, and balanced.

My experience: This was a pretty good cleanser. I especially loved its texture and smell — something about it felt so luxurious and silky, so I could definitely understand the hype. However, I learned that my skin type (dry and dehydrated) needs non-foaming cleansers to retain maximum hydration, and unfortunately this is a foamer. If you’ve got oily skin, this one should be perfect for you. But, if you’ve got sensitive skin, I would caution you away from this one. It’s got various fragrant ingredients, which can be major irritants if your skin is prone to breakouts. I personally thought the cleanser was okay, and at almost 500ml it lasted a decent while. If you’ve got the money and skin type, go for it!

Final Rating: 4/5

2. Youth to the People: Superfood Antioxidant Cleanser ($47)

I heard about this one from my obsessive consumption of Hyram’s YouTube channel. Hyram is known for promoting effective vegan and environmentally friendly skincare for a worthy price, so when I noticed him recommending the superfood cleanser on multiple occasions, I couldn’t resist!

Summary: This is yet another award-winning cleanser with “cold-pressed antioxidants” designed to remove makeup, stop pore build-up and maintain your skin’s natural pH balance. It is designed for all skin types but is best for oily to normal skin. Featured in this jade green gel cleanser are a variety of powerful ingredients, which is why it’s labelled a superfood blend. There is kale, which is rich in phytonutrients and vitamins that will both clean and illuminate your skin. There is spinach, which soothes and cools down skin with conditioning fatty acids. There is also green tea, which is filled with antioxidants that combat visible signs of aging.

My experience: While this was a great cleanser and smelled awesome, it’s also another foamer. Great for oily skin, not so much for mine. It wasn’t necessarily stripping but it wasn’t helping my skin maintain maximum hydration either. It also lathers up in a very slippery watery way if your hands are wet, so I had to slightly towel my hands before using it to avoid it slipping down my arm.

One thing that really killed my experience with it is that its nozzle leaked. A lot. It kept forming a thick ring of product at the bottom of the jar, which was really frustrating for me (and others, according to product reviews). At such a high cost for less than 250ml, a manufacturing flaw like this is just super wasteful and disappointing.

Final rating: 3/5

3. La Roche Posay: Toleriane Caring Wash ($24)

This is an alternative to the very popular Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Face Cleanser, which is unfortunately hard to come by in Canada. Since the hydrating gentle cleanser is a cult favourite among those with dry skin for its non-foaming, non-stripping texture, I knew I lucked out when I found a Canadian alternative with an almost identical ingredient list.

Summary: At 200ml, this is a very mild and skin-friendly cleanser. It is so gentle that dermatologically-tested studies cleared it for use by both adults as well as children and babies — meaning it has an extremely low chance of causing irritation. Since its also targeted specifically for normal to dry skin with sensitivities, its sulphate-free, fragrance-free composition is a godsend for dehydrated skin. Some noteworthy ingredients are spring water (which calms skin irritations), glycerin (which holds water and hydrates skin), niacinamide (which soothes irritation and redness) and ceramides (which repair and protect the skin barrier).

My experience: Hello, holy grail! After trying the first two cleansers with no luck, I’ve finally found the one. This cleanser is rich, creamy, and affordable — all great things when choosing your perfect cleanser. Since cleansers should typically be used once to twice a day, it’s difficult to justify spending so much on a single bottle when it can finish so quickly. With this product, luxe but available at the drugstore, that guilt is history. Not only this, but it is truly the only product that I can use without ever seeing any fine lines on my skin afterwards. Definitely not going back!

Final Rating: 5/5

Oil-based cleansers

1. Clinique: Take the Day Off Balm ($47)

Anyone who double cleanses has likely heard of this one (and if you don’t double cleanse, read this article I wrote explaining why you should!). The Clinique Take the Day Off Balm is a true cult favourite, with 4.2K ratings on Sephora and an Allure Clean Beauty Award under its belt.

Summary: This vegan balm comes in a 125ml jar and melts into a silky oil upon application, effectively removing all traces of makeup, sunscreen and grime. It’s designed for all skin types and dissolves facial impurities so thoroughly that it can even help clean out pores clogged by blackheads and whiteheads. The best part is that it is non-greasy and non-drying, so it’s easy to rinse off without stripping or sensitizing your skin. Your results will be a fresh, dewy finish.

My experience: First thing I’ll say about this product is that it LASTS. A little goes a very long way, so you get a lot of bang for your buck. It feels amazing on application and it’s so effective at removing makeup and sunscreen. I know that prior to double cleansing, I always woke up with those pesky traces of mascara under my eyes, but that was all gone with this product. The only downside is that if you don’t keep your eyes squeezed shut the entire time you’re rubbing it on, your eyes are going to burn and your vision could stay blurry for about a minute after it’s been rinsed off… so keep those eyes closed!

Final rating: 4/5

2. The Body Shop: Camomile Dissolve the Day Makeup Cleansing Oil ($16)

I’d be remiss if I didn’t feature the Body Shop at least once in my review series — and this cleansing oil is no joke. I’ve done a lot of research trying to find the perfect oil cleanser (as opposed to a balm because I’m admittedly not a huge fan of jars), and this truly proved itself unmatched for its price point.

Summary: At 160mls, this oil is comprised of 95 per cent natural ingredients, adding up to a modest total of 14 — as stated on their website, “When it works, why add more?” Its featured ingredient, camomile oil, is sourced from Norfolk, England, and works to remove the most stubborn of makeup and sunscreen residue. It’s also designed to work for all skin types (and even contact lens wearers!) without causing any irritation, leaving skin feeling clean, refreshed and super soft.

My experience: In the wise words of Lady Gaga… “Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show-stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before.” This cleanser is a dream! It’s luxurious and feels so wonderful on application. It glides effortlessly on your skin and melts everything away so quickly, leaving your skin feeling astonishingly soft. And the best part? It doesn’t burn if you accidentally peek your eyes open! The pump has also recently been replaced by a drip cap, further adding to the brand’s environmentally-conscious packaging. Gold stars all around.

Final rating: 5/5

That wraps up my skincare review series! I hope these product reviews have helped narrow your skincare product search down so you don’t have to break the bank nearly as much as I did. Happy hunting!

Rawan is the former President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Carleton's '21-22 school year. She started out as film student before pursuing her passion for storytelling at J-School. When she's not reading or writing, you can find her fawning over cats and splurging on things she absolutely shouldn't be.