A Reflection On My Exchange in Scotland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

I’m just going to say this right off the bat; GOING ON EXCHANGE IS WORTH IT. 

Where did I go? Glasgow, Scotland, UK

How long did I stay? 4 months

Did I cry at the thought of being so far away from home? Several times.

Did I have the most amazing experience of my life? Abso-friggin-lutely.

In 2014, when I was 15 years old, I went to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival to put on a play with my high school. I had never been outside of North America and my heart was telling me to go for it. We arrived in London and took a train to Edinburgh where we stayed for two weeks. I fell in love with all of it (I cannot confirm whether or not this is due to my British ancestry…) and my whole being ached to go back. 

Fast forward to January 17th, 2019, and I found myself in security clearance at the Montreal airport, looking at my mom and my aunt as they watched me leave. I could feel the distance already. I can still conjure up that feeling of homesickness today, even though it happened over a year ago. Despite being very anxious in the moment, I loved the thrill of being in an airport. Airports have a flavour of potential, of adventure, of discovery, and it made me feel like flying, quite literally. 

I was completely lost and disoriented in downtown Glasgow, but I managed to find my flat and find my room, connect to the wifi, empty the contents of my bag, and come to terms with the reality that in just one night, I had travelled over 3000 miles and opened the door to a brand new chapter of my life. I couldn’t believe that after all the planning and organizing, I had arrived, just like that. 

Before I arrived, all I could think about were the things that would potentially go wrong. You know the crazy stuff like plane accidents, losing my luggage, making zero friends, finding out I went to the wrong city… But none of that happened. I decided I would no longer let my brain exhaust me by thinking about all of the things that could go wrong, and I started to appreciate all the things that were going right. I grew up during my exchange. I learned how to navigate the world on my own as an adult, but I also learned to chill and worry less. I learned how to enjoy each day, and appreciate what it gave me. I learned to acknowledge my small accomplishments and to live with less haste. 

So many wonderful things happened during my exchange. I learned to approach my life with an open mind and a willingness to learn. Don’t get me wrong; it wasn’t always easy. Some days I felt homesick, especially around the two-month mark. But never underestimate the power of living in a new place. Digging up your roots and planting them in new soil gives you unique knowledge and experiences. 

So many places in the UK have sentimental value for me now that I could never have anticipated. The place where I met a new best friend, the place where I ate my first fresh Caribbean food, the place where I met my first Scottish friends, the place where I met my Prince Charming.

Now for some pro tips.

There’s no secret to having the best possible exchange experience. It’s up to you to take control and make your exchange goals a reality. You need to think ahead and double-check EVERYTHING. There is no way around it. Double-check your courses, your flight tickets, your visa requirements, your accommodation, everything. 

Take breaks. Watch a movie in bed, cook a nice big meal, call someone who is important to you. 

Do something that makes you feel at home. Exchanges are exhausting. Travelling, seeing new places, meeting new friends, staying up late. It all wears you down. If you’re feeling drained, stop rushing and start enjoying little moments. And remember, you do have class ;) 

Keep an open mind. You can’t predict what will happen on exchange. Appreciate every moment by letting yourself flow with the experiences, and keeping your plans flexible. 

Branch out. This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to make global connections. That’s not something you can do as easily back home is it?

Acknowledge how you feel and talk about it. It’s normal to feel homesick, or lonely, or stressed. That’s part of the exchange experience too. You need to be ready to get out of your comfort zone, be proactive, make a couple of mistakes, and take a stab at being on your own. Overcoming stress in a new country is a challenge but if you give yourself some time, give yourself some space, I assure you, you will make it through. 

Stay positive. 

Oh, and you might fall in love with a charming British boy. 

xoxo Gillian