A Recipe for Layering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

As the cool weather approaches and the leaves turn from green to ombre shades of red and orange, I can only think about one thing… layers, layers, layers! But where are the best layering pieces in the city hiding!? And how do you put the outfit together? I’m here to help with a little montage of inspiration! 

As always, staying on a student budget is of the upmost importance, as you don’t want your bank account to come down to choosing between a week worth of Starbucks or a sweater.

Starting with a basic is the best way to build your layered look. Try a great pair of skinny jeans, or your choice of denim on the bottom (preferably slim, so as not to interfere with the bulk of layers on your torso). Pair those with a neutral colored tank or fitted long sleeve. Then comes the fun!

Add a button down over top of your basic, whether it is a comfy plaid, a denim shirt, or loose cotton blend. After that, put on a pull-over sweater and peek the collar out at the neck to add a pop of contrast. Then add a lighter fall jacket with a touch of faux fur on the hood. Or, for a more dressed up look, you can use a leather jacket and put a fur vest over top. Last but not least, add your favorite scarf and voilà! 

Forever 21 Basic V-neck $5.50 
Urban Outfitters Pins and needles faux fur collar wool coat $159.00
American Apparel classic unisex sweater $58.00
Forever 21 Leopard booties $35.50
Forever 21 Plaid shirt $23.90
Forever 21 Grey skinny jean $18.50 
Urban Outfitters BDG cable knit scarf $24.00 
Urban Outfitters Unicorn ring $12.00

Photo Source:
http://www.girlandcloset.com/2011/11/look-book-train-stations-lovely-fal…

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.