This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Ariana Grande and The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye) are both known for their out-of-this-world vocals and record-breaking songs. Over the years, they have collaborated and now have four songs together – literally enough to make an EP.
In honour of their most recent release, “Die for You – Remix,” I wanted to rank all four songs from this iconic duo.

1. Love me harder

Love Me Harder is their first (and best) collaboration! I was obsessed with this song when it first came out in 2014. Fast forward to 2023, and I still have not become tired of it. Ariana and Abel’s vocals blend beautifully, and the synth-pop production makes it a fun listen. I love how this song starts soft but builds up toward the chorus making it a complete bop. This song explores the effort it takes to make a relationship work while also poking fun at the physical aspects of love through fun innuendos. I appreciate the meaning behind some of the other songs on this list a little more, but this one takes the cake when it comes to the overall listening experience. Love Me Harder gets the number one spot as it is the most fun to listen to and holds a nostalgic place in my heart. 

2. Save your tears – remix

Save Your Tears – Remix was the third collaboration released between them. I already loved the original version of Save Your Tears, and adding Ariana Grande to anything is a phenomenal idea in my books. Many remixes are very simple and often feel incomplete. Usually, the feature will add a verse, join one chorus and call it a day. This remix was mixed wonderfully and includes Ariana’s adlibs and whistles throughout the song before she comes in for an entire verse, chorus and adds to the bridge. Not only is the production well done, but Ariana shows off her lower register, which is something the general public does not often hear from her. Emotionally this song allows me to understand the hardships that come with ending a toxic relationship. I like that the song acknowledges accountability in yourself rather than blaming a failed relationship entirely on the other person – this is something I used to struggle with, but I’ve learned to take the time to reflect on my own actions as well. Overall, this remix was a success in my eyes.

3. Die for you – remix

Die for You – Remix is their most recently released collaboration! First of all, a huge thanks to The Weeknd for convincing Ariana to record a verse while filming her movie. I was surprised when they announced this, as Die for You is a seven-year-old song, but nonetheless, I was super excited. Emotionally, this song shows how hard it can be to leave a relationship when neither of you wants that. It shows that love isn’t enough to keep a relationship strong, and many circumstances can force a breakup. Being in a long-distance relationship, I can understand what Abel may have felt while writing this song’s lyrics.

On the technical side of things, I love how crisp and clear Ariana’s voice is in this recording. Her voice sounds so healthy, and she totally gave listeners a sneak peek of her Glinda voice in some of those harmonies. Like always, I love the way Abel and Ariana’s voices blend, but I think the production sounded a little rushed compared to their other remix. There were fewer harmonies and adlibs thrown around throughout the entirety of the song, and I would have liked to hear Ariana add something to the bridge as well. That being said, although this is ranked at number 3, I love everything they make together and literally can’t stop listening to this one! 

4. off the table

Although I’m ranking this at number four, I absolutely love off the table. Lyrically, it tells an emotional story exploring the fears of opening yourself up to love. It feels wrong to have it last on the list because I appreciate the meaning so much. Although I have not been through what she has in this situation, I have found myself wondering if relationships are even worth the work when it feels like they all end negatively. It is terrifying to open up to a new person all over again, and she expresses this beautifully. Abel plays the role of a new love interest in this song, one who is understanding of past situations and is patient with the process. A mix of uncertainty and comfort makes this song so relatable. It is such a beautiful song, but compared to the others, it just is not the one I find myself listening to all that often. I think the production can make it difficult to listen to sometimes; maybe if a different producer worked on the song, I would feel differently about it. Due to this, it is deemed an easily skippable song. Does that mean I skip it all the time? No, but it further proves that the other songs on this list deserve the higher spots.

I love all of their songs together (and individually), so making this list was a difficult task for sure! If you have yet to hear any of these songs, make sure to check them out and make your own rankings.

Emma is a fourth year communication and media studies student at Carleton University. She is often found talking about pop-culture, or trying the newest Starbucks drink. She also loves musical theatre, collecting vinyl records and is a huge Ariana Grande fan. Social media director for the 2022/23 Her Campus Carleton team!