This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

“Once and for all, I am stronger on my own,” Selena Gomez sings in De Una Vez, her Spanish single released in January 2021, confessing to her audience that her chest has become “bulletproof” after wounds from an unkind lover have healed. 

This message, present in much of Gomez’s recent discography, echoes sentiments shared by her influencers and peers in their own self-love songs: anthems which have become foundational for women musicians looking to secure their place as pop royalty.

De Una Vez is just one track among many iconic self-love songs performed by women solo artists in recent years. While empowering feminist anthems are nothing new to the music industry (see: ‘Express Yourself,’ ‘I Will Survive,’ ‘I’m Coming Out’), their growing relevance and social impact have certainly increased. In fact, in this era of feminist honesty, empowerment, and self-love, it’s hard to name one pop “it” girl who hasn’t produced an ode to herself as a celebration of womanhood. 

As we see this trend grow, and as we welcome young female musicians such as Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo to the pop arena, let’s take a look back at some of the most iconic self-love songs released by women in recent years and explore their impact.

Shake it Off by Taylor Swift

After spending years being portrayed as what Swift describes in her documentary as a “national lightning rod for slut-shaming,” Shake It Off was released as Swift’s lead single for 1989, her first pop record and most awarded album to date. Swift responds to public criticism by shrugging off an unfair media narrative and promising that “haters gonna hate.” Shake It Off peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent 35 weeks on the chart before earning several awards, including a GRAMMY for Producer of the Year and a People’s Choice Award for Favourite Song. ​

Formation by Beyoncé

Beyoncé is one pop icon that has never swayed from her feminist roots; her 2016 album Lemonade contained one of her most empowering anthems to date. The lead single Formation celebrates Blackness (“I like my baby heir with baby hair and afros”) and womanhood (“you know you that b—– when you cause all this conversation”). Billboard listed Formation as one of the songs that “defined the decade” when it hit number one on Billboard’s real-time chart. After Lemonade’s release, Beyoncé became the first woman to have 12 songs charting on the Billboard Hot 100 at the same time. Lemonade won two GRAMMYs and became Beyoncé’s most acclaimed album.

Look At Her Now by Selena Gomez

Look At Her Now was Gomez’ follow up single to Lose You To Love Me — and a reassurance to fans that growth and healing are attainable. She sings about how “she knows she’ll find love” if she seeks it and reflects on loving herself after leaving a toxic relationship. Look At Her Now peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent a subsequent 61 weeks on 15 different charts. It was her second single off her second solo album Rare, which earned her a number one spot on the Billboard Top 200.

Thank U, Next by Ariana Grande

Referencing herself as a new love interest, Grande sings about how carrying herself through heartbreak taught her love, patience, and coping with pain. Unlike its cheeky title suggests, the single genuinely reflects on lessons learned during a tragic period in Grande’s public life. Thank U, Next was released without any promotion, yet spent 28 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 after shooting to number one on the day of its release. While her radio-friendly singles Problem and The Way earned her a loyal audience, Thank U, Next was Grande’s first number one hit, cementing her place amid pop royalty.

Free Woman by Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga has spent more than a decade as a foundational pop “it” girl, with her songs consistently containing feminist rhetoric and celebrations of LGBTQ+ love. However, her latest pop album Chromatica contained a hidden gem: one of her best feminist anthems we have seen from her yet. “I’m still something if I don’t have a man, I’m a free woman,” she belts in electronic pop perfection Free Woman. Chromatica became Gaga’s sixth number one album to top the Billboard 200, and at the time of its release, received the most sales of an album released by a woman in 2020. Chromatica is currently nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album for the 2021 GRAMMY’s.

Blow Your Mind (Mwah) by Dua Lipa

Gaining popularity for a catchy break-up song that went viral, New Rules introduced Dua Lipa to the pop scene, while the girl power anthems on her debut album Dua Lipa ensured a sturdy foundation of heartbroken and fed-up fans. “If you don’t like the way I talk, then why am I on your mind?” Lipa declares on Blow Your Mind, Lipa’s first song to enter the Billboard Top 100 chart. Despite being her first record, Dua Lipa’s self-titled album peaked at number 27 on the U.S. Billboard 200 and earned her a GRAMMY for Best New Artist. ​

Midnight Sky by Miley Cyrus

Following a few tough years in the public eye, Miley Cyrus found her rightful place in the rock genre on Plastic Hearts. While its namesake and Heart of Glass cover became fan-favourites, Cyrus emerges with a fresh, feminist attitude: “I don’t belong to anyone, I don’t need to be loved by you,” she declares on Midnight Sky, following the fallout of some public relationships. Cyrus’ new glamourous, rock attitude earned Plastic Hearts a number one spot on the Billboard Rock albums chart, Cyrus’ first introduction since leaving the pop genre.

Needed Me by Rihanna

Despite not releasing music since 2016, Rihanna’s position as a pop princess is still undisputed, partly due to the massive success of Anti. Anti’s second single Needed Me describes the singer’s disinterest in a fairytale ending (“f*** your white horse and a carriage”) as she shrugs off an unequal partnership (“didn’t they tell you that I was a savage?”) Needed Me charted on the Billboard Hot 100 for 42 weeks, resulting in her sitting at fourth place as an artist with one of the most top tens in Billboard’s history. Anti charted on the Billboard Top 200 for more than four years after its release and was nominated for two GRAMMYs.

As the year unfolds, there is no doubt countless more feminist bops are on the way — and we can’t wait to jam out to them.

Lauren Stokes is a double major in journalism and political science at Carleton University.