This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Being a vegan can make it challenging to go out with your friends and family. Options are often very limited at regular restaurants, and spending eighteen dollars on a boring salad is not what I call ideal. However, I hate being the person who says things like, “Sorry we can’t go to this restaurant because there is nothing I can eat”.  Forcing my non vegan/vegetarian friends and family to go to all-vegan restaurants is not fun either. However, over the past couple of years, some amazing Ottawa food spots have opened up to serve delicious vegan and non-vegan food – sure to satisfy everyone’s dietary preferences.

Gongfu Bao

Gongu Bao opened in early 2019, and instantly became a great success. The restaurant is known for their asain steam buns, which are incredibly delicious. Their menu offers a great selection of vegan options, but I would definitely recommend the Tofu Belly.

Average Meal Price: $14.00

Location: 365 Bank St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1Y2

DreamLand Cafe

After hearing nothing but amazing things about DreamLand Cafe, I went for the first time last summer. My cousin, my best friend (who is celiac), and I went to dinner to celebrate the amazing summer we had and say goodbye before the next school year began. We were amazed with how incredible our dinners were. Not only did they supply an amazing vegetable-filled pesto pasta for myself, but they also had gluten free pasta for my celiac friend, who normally would not be able to eat pasta at a restaurant. DreamLand has now become my go-to place for celebratory meals or get-togethers with my friends because I know everyone will find a dish they love. Besides, who doesn’t love pasta – especially when it’s made fresh in-house!

Average Meal Price: $18.00

Location: 262 Preston St, Ottawa, ON K1R 7R5

Fresh Fired Fiazza

Ever since Fiazza opened its first location on Murray Street back in 2014, I have been hooked. Fiazza is my number one restaurant in Ottawa. Whenever I am going out to eat or ordering in, Fiazza is my first choice (and this is saying a lot since I used to work there). Fiazza is a great place to go with your non-vegan friend because of their wide selection of toppings to customize your own pizza – including dairy free cheese. They are also more than happy to substitute ingredients on their pre-set menu. All ingredients at fiazza are fresh and sourced locally – plus their fired oven gives their pizzas a delicious crisp, and cook in 180 seconds!

Average Meal Price: $14.00

Locations: Multiple 

Suzy Q

Okay, I totally recognize that Suzy Q is definitely not a secret anymore (especially after the colourful instagram of 2014). However, after cutting out dairy last year, I’m not gonna lie – I did miss a good quality donut every once and awhile. Especially because most vegan donuts have a dense cake consistency, and are just shaped as a donut. However, one day I was at Suzy Q picking up donuts for a party and I realized they started selling vegan donuts. And let me tell you, these vegan donuts are AMAZING – and I don’t say this lightly. They are still light and fluffy like a traditional Suzy Q donut, and come in a variety of flavours, to ensure you will never again have dessert envy over your non-vegan friends!

Price: $3.00

Location: 969 Wellington St 

Next time your non-vegan friends accuse you of having boring food, treat them to these places to give them a tasty surprise!

Loves pilates, yoga, contemporary romance novels, and travel. Future field on interest: Public Relations. Will *scream* sing along to any Taylor Swift or Olivia Rodrigo song.