jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Movember and Men’s Mental Health Stigma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

In you’re wondering why you’ve seen more men with precarious facial hair and more discussions around men’s health this month – the answer is Movember. 

Movember has traditionally focused on raising awareness and money to fight prostate and testicular cancer. In recent years, it has placed an equal focus on men’s mental health. The Movember organization is the leading charity striving to change the way the public thinks about men’s health, and defeat the stigma attached to men’s mental health.

Avoiding discussions about men’s mental health can negatively affect men and how they are socialized to behave. Traditional masculinity creates a barrier for men who might be worried about seeming weak or too feminine for speaking about their emotions. This limits men’s ability to reach out to family, friends, or mental health experts.

The campaign focuses on key issues such as prevention, early intervention, and health promotion. Generally, rates of suicide are incredibly alarming but when the numbers are broken down, six out of 10 suicides are committed by men, according to the Movember organization.

So how do we prevent the high rates of male suicide? Two key approaches the Movember charity referenes is improving overall mental health services and helping men create connections with a social group who can offer them support. The charity works towards its goals with its own fundraising and campaigning, but also teams up with over 1,250 men’s health projects in Canada and around the world. One great project Movember funds is HealthyDads.ca, which works to educate first-time fathers about the risk of mental health. It provides strategies and tools to help these fathers and gives insight on how to stay healthy in these times of adjustment.

So how can you get involved year-round and participate next November? First, check out the Movember Canada site and read up on their projects and values to learn more. If you have time, take the chance to explore the touching stories Movember features of men speaking about mental health. There’s a great selection of interviews with athletes, soldiers, professionals, and students who talk about their struggles with their mental health and how to fight the stigma faced by men. Second, if you are male and want to grow a moustache for Movember, you can sign up online and hook your friends up with a link to support your campaign. Women can also also create their own Movember campaign – no mustache required.

If you don’t feel like growing a stache or running your own campaign, then no worries! Try to find a campaign to support financially online or simply spread the word about the great work the charity does by posting it on your social media. The awareness Movember raises and the community involvement projects they sponsor don’t just end in November. You can donate to the Movember charity any time of the year.

Most importantly, start a discussion with your social circle, family, and co-workers about mental health to help yourself and others establish connections to find support. Reach out to those you care about to check on their mental health – especially the men in your life who may be afraid of speaking up. Reducing the stigma around men’s mental health is a slow process, but it is worthwhile when we consider the impact it could have on the lives of those close to us.

Emma Christie

Carleton '22

1st year Master's Student in Political Science at Carleton University. My interests are watching too many movies, global affairs, and being a cat lady in training.