Meet The 2013 CUSA Journalism Candidates!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

What is your name? Nickname?

Adam: Adam Carroll, and I don’t have a nickname but I’ve been trying to get people to call me “Frank the Tank”.

Luke: Luke Bradley, people used to call me Scradley from the show ‘Sticking Around’…I never liked it.

Harrison: Harrison Boyd, and I don’t really have a nickname.

Where are you from?

Adam: I’m a pure Ottawanian.

Luke: Calgary, but I was born in Sarnia.

Harrison: Born in Toronto, lived two years in Bolton, and spent the rest of my time growing up in Calgary, Alberta.

If you could land an internship with any journalist, past or present, who would it be and why?

Adam: Terry Milewski at the CBC, because he has a decent history and I know you could learn something from him.

Luke: I would have to say Anderson Cooper, because I’m a huge fan of his. I have a fish named after him. I admire him because he doesn’t have to be doing what he’s doing; he’s inherited a lot of money. He just loves doing what he’s doing.

Harrison: I would have to say John A. MacDonald, not only was it cool that he was a father of confederation, it was the advent of free press in the colonies which ultimately served as one of the starting points for confederation.

If there were something you could have started doing a year ago today, what would it be?

Adam: I’d like to have more time reading comics. I never get enough time to read comics. It’s so tragic.

Luke: I’ve always wanted to learn to play the piano. I’ve always said I’m going to go out and learn to play the piano, I just haven’t yet.

Harrison: I wish I had run for more student government offices here at Carleton. With my work at CASG as VPA, I’ve been able to positively affect students from all different faculties and I’d like to continue helping in the role as a CUSA counselor.

In fewer than five words, what’s the biggest change you want to bring to CUSA?

Adam: More transparency and accountability.

Luke: Co-operation and reason.

Harrison: Mandated transparency, equality, and efficiency.

In five years, where would you like to be?

Adam: I’d like to either be king of the world, or making decent money spreading goodness in the world.

Luke: Probably just getting out of teacher’s college or law school. Getting out and starting a life, probably still in Ottawa – I’ve really fallen in love with the city.

Harrison: I’d like to see myself finishing law school and started up in a large firm in Ottawa or Toronto, working in criminal law.

Fifteen seconds on the clock: Why should I vote for you?

Adam: I’m the only candidate with specific transparency initiatives that will benefit all journalism students.

Luke: Because I’m a moderate voice of reason, and I want to co-operate with everyone. To get things done that positively affect all students, rather than vague ambiguous issues which just divide us.

Harrison: I’m a non-partisan who wants to work for a non-partisan faculty. Plus, I want to bring more socially-oriented events. We’re a small faculty, and everyone should know each other by the end of our four years here at Carleton.

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.