Laura Luketa: Girl Talk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Relationships. Friendships. Love. Trust. Self-esteem. Body Image. The girls are talking, and Laura Luketa is providing another platform for us to do just that.

Laura is a 21-year-old Law major who manages the YouTube channel Girl Talk, with one simple premise in mind: “As young women, we go through similar experiences. It is important to know that we are not alone.” It is with this in mind that Ms. Luketa tackles social issues relevant to our generation such as relationships on social media, the ‘90-day rule’, friends with benefits, and many other topics. Since her channel is about addressing social issues, during our one-hour hang out, I took the opportunity to talk to her about some of these concerns.

First we tackled the issue of domestic violence. Laura stresses the fact that we do not need to suffer through everything on our own, but instead should learn from other people and their situations. This is not just a controversial topic, but also a topic where we cannot afford to pass judgement if our true intentions are to help. Many times when these domestic disputes come to light it becomes a spectacle, taking away from the core of the actual issue.  As Laura asserts, “I think it’s important that before we try to pass judgement, it is crucial to remember that you can never truly understand until you’ve been in that situation.” I find myself completely agreeing with Laura’s mission to find some common ground.  

Next we addressed the issue of the tendency for “cattiness” among women. This is another touchy issue, and as a disclaimer, I do not believe that all women are “catty” but it cannot be denied that when compared to men it seems as though we are more inclined to judge without cause. Laura says, “If I meet you, I’m going to be nice. I won’t do the whole dirty look situation for no reason. Especially if I just meet you and there is tension there’s no reason to provoke such a situation so I’ll just let it go. As girls sometimes we can harbour unnecessary animosity, apologies are underrated. Admit when you are wrong.”

Girl Talk has been built on the premise of unifying, and I think Laura is off to a great start. She encourages us as young women to be comfortable with who you are. “I have a very strong personality and some people don’t like that but some people do. Regardless, you have to be comfortable in your own skin.” 

To find out what all the talk’s about, subscribe or join the conversation at: https://www.youtube.com/user/thagirlsaretalkin

XO

Delisha is the Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Honours degree in Communications and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. If she isn't on Tumblr or reading a novel geared at perfecting an abstract thinking, she is asleep. She was born and raised in Barbados so she has an island life perspective of easy living. She enjoys working out, good quotes, yoga, and listening to music. She hopes to use her talent for writing to mold language in a way that it serves the world best. As Tupac Shakur once said, “I don’t want to change the world, I want to spark the mind of the person who eventually changes the world.” This is her hope as well.