Jess’ Dish: Dorm Room Hookups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Kiss goodbye to curfews, obeying parents’ rules, and in some cases, sleep in general. You have walked across the stage, shook your principal’s hand, smiled for the camera, and are now making your way to university. Wherever you go, although the people will be different, the experience is usually the same.

Fresh out of high school, it is sometimes hard to know what to expect and that is why I am here! I will describe to you what I think is the “usual” experience. Keep in mind, that this “usual” experience will be one that you will never forget, it will be that kind of experience that shapes who you are and who you will be. On lighter terms, it’s the type of experience that will make the work load of university absolutely worth it.

The first year of university introduces you to a lot of what life has to offer you: deciphering between love and lust, sex, relationships, hardships, and homesickness.

This post is going to focus on university dorm room hookups.

I can make you one promise no matter what, when you girls get to university, there will be at least one special someone who catches your eye. They may be in your class, walking around campus, or, in many cases, living across the hall in residence.

For some reason once you’re in university, things progress faster. Within a few days, you can go from flirting and texting, to sexting (dirty talk through text) and spending all your spare time with each other.

Then, it happens. You kick your roommate out for the night, (my friends and I called it ‘sexiling’), and you finally have the room to yourself. You invite your beau over and with a little bit of nervous talk to ease the sexual tension, your lips meet.

Once you’re kissing, things progress faster. It begins to get hot and heavy and then you see what all of the university buzz is about, you finally can see why girls enjoy university so much.

After the fireworks are finished following that memorable first night, you start to come to terms with reality: your bed is a small single and with a little bit of movement, you can knock yourself off, let alone trying to fit another person in it. You share a room with another girl – unless you can afford/want a single room – who does not want to be sexiled every night and you realize there is absolutely no privacy when it comes to dorm room sex.

Yes, sex is always exciting, but here are a few tips to help you cope with the lack of privacy, and the lack of movement.

1. Try to switch it up and go to your “friend”s room every so often, your roommate will thank you.

2. Move your mattress on the floor with blankets to create a bigger area in which you two can move around.

3. Have a system laid out with your neighbouring rooms to warn them you are about to have sex and if they have headphones, put them on. A good system is to knock on the wall a predetermined amount of times.

And remember, keep the conversation between you and your bedmate open, just to know if the hook-ups are a friend-with-benefits sort of thing or if they are getting a bit more serious.

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.