This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

I saw the trailer for Emily In Paris about a month ago and immediately set a reminder to be notified at its release. It definitely looked like it had all the components of a show I would very much enjoy. So after binging through the whole series in under 12 hours, I can officially say that it was exactly the type of show I thought it would be.

Emily In Paris is a Netflix original tv series, released on the streaming service on October 2nd, 2020. The show’s creator Darren Star, is initially what drew my attention, best known as the creator of Sex and the City, which is one of my favourite shows of all time, and truly a pop culture icon and generation shaping series. 

As well, I was very excited to see Lily Collins playing the lead role of Emily. I have been a fan of Collins since her Rom-Com, Love Rosie which was released back in 2014. Since then she has proven to be a diverse and talented actress, with performances in films such as To The Bone (2017), and Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (2019).

The show follows the life of a young woman named Emily, who works for a successful marketing firm in Chicago. The story kicks off when Emily’s company transfers her to a small luxury marketing firm they have recently acquired in Paris, in order to give an “American perspective”. 

Emily In Paris follows pretty much every single Parisian stereotype, but I mean they are all stereotypes for a reason, right?? The most prominent stereotype the show plays off of is the understanding that Parisians are rude/cold. What I loved most about the show is its realistic portrayal of what it is like to experience Paris as an “outsider”. Emily arrives to the city with high expectations, being under the impression that her life is about to turn into a fairytale. However, once there she realizes the people are very unwelcoming and she is left feeling isolated and lonely. I very much resonated with this portrayal of being lonely in Paris, after spending two weeks there back in 2018 by myself. However, at the same time, the show also features some of my favourite parts from my time spent in Paris, including Cafe Les Deux Magots and The Tuileries Garden. 

The show does two things absolutely right, and one of those things is fashion. Every look Emily wears in this series is amazing, very reminiscent of Gossip Girl meets Sex and the City, two shows with iconic style. The fashion is so much more than just wardrobe, but rather plays a character in itself, and is a central part in bringing the show together. But don’t take my word for it, already major fashion outlets such as British Vogue and Refinery29 are drooling over these looks (I mean truly how could they not).  

The other thing the show nails is the men (no pun intended). I mean these men are absolutely stunning. The show definitely plays into the stereotype that all European men are gorgeous, and very forward with their feelings and actions. As well, given the show takes place in Paris, one could say the series takes advantage of the saying “Paris is the most romantic city in the world” because let me tell you, Emily has potential romances in spades. If for these gorgeous European men alone, you must watch Emily In Paris, trust me you’ll thank me later. 

In conclusion, I would say the show is nothing groundbreaking, neither something you will remember for years to come, however, with that said I still very much enjoyed watching the show. It is a lighthearted, fun, fast watch, which makes it the perfect show to watch during these stressful times. I know the title of this article is “I Watched Emily In Paris So You Didn’t Have To”, but if I’m being honest I highly recommend that you do!

Link to the Emily In Paris trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lptctjAT-Mk    

Loves pilates, yoga, contemporary romance novels, and travel. Future field on interest: Public Relations. Will *scream* sing along to any Taylor Swift or Olivia Rodrigo song.