Anna Schultz-Girl Looking Through Closet
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Style

How to Make a Week’s Worth of Outfits with 10 Pieces of Clothing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

If you are anything like me, you own way too many clothes. Through every closet cleanout, I tend to keep items with the hope that I will someday own a piece to pair with it – often failing. With the season of spring-cleaning coming up, I like many others, am challenging myself to really purge my wardrobe of anything that cannot be worn more than one way. 

With the issue of sustainability at the forefront of many conversations about fashion, many are getting creative with the pieces already in their closet as opposed to buying new ones. In the spirit of sustainability and creativity, I am going to attempt to style a week’s worth of outfits using 10 pieces of clothing, to show that a few basic items can go a long way and that you can have a stylish wardrobe without sacrificing the environment or your bank account.

The 10 Pieces

I thought carefully about the pieces that I chose for this challenge. It is best to use items that can be worn in multiple seasons and various occasions, as well as clothes that fit well and match multiple chosen items. The items I chose are some of my most worn and well-loved basics.

All of these items are extremely versatile and neutral. They are often paired with statement pieces or multiple colours. They are essential in building a balanced outfit, but are rarely the star of the show. The outfits below can prove that a little creativity can allow these staple items to look anything but basic.

• A black and white polka-dotted short sleeve flowy dress

• A distressed denim jacket 

• A simple white t-shirt

• An eggplant cropped tank 

• A plain black turtleneck

• Distressed denim mom jeans

• Black jeans

• Black and white chequered pants with a paper bag waist

• Adidas superstar sneakers

• Black booties

Outfit #1

While it may be a little too cold to brave the outdoors in this outfit in March, this is a cute and effortless look for the spring and summer seasons. You could easily dress this outfit up by switching out the sneakers for sandals or heels, putting on a darker coloured jacket, or ditching it entirely if it is warm enough.

Items Used: Jean Jacket, Dress, Sneakers.

Outfit #2

This is for people who really enjoy wearing summer clothes in the fall and winter months. This outfit is a warmer, and edgier way to wear a sundress. If you don’t feel comfortable wearing bare legs with this look, you can easily add black tights or knee-high socks.

Items Used: Dress, Turtleneck, Boots.

Outfit #3

Layering different pieces of clothing is a great way to give them new life. In this outfit, mixing different textures and shades makes a pretty monochromatic look more interesting.

Items Used: Crop top, Turtleneck, Black Jeans, Boots.

Outfit #4

This outfit is perfect for both day and night, for those busy days when you don’t have time to change. You can throw any jacket or sweater over this and wear it to class, then also wear it out to dinner with friends, or even on a date.

Items Used: Crop top, Checkered Pants, Boots.

Outfit #5

Do you have a board meeting, or a three-hour lecture to sit through? Who knows. This outfit allows to look professional and put together, while still feeling comfortable. It is the best of both worlds.

Items Used: Turtleneck, Checkered Pants, Boots.

Outfit #6

Black and white is a classic combination. You can never go wrong by wearing a white top and black jeans, but adding the black turtleneck and white sneakers adds interest and a colour-blocking effect.

Items Used: White T-Shirt, Turtleneck, Black Jeans, Sneakers.

Outfit #7

People can debate all they want about denim on denim, but personally, I think it is a great way to take otherwise basic pieces, and put them together to create a stylish look. If you really want to fully commit to this look, try wearing a chambray style shirt underneath the jacket

Items Used: Jean Jacket, White T-Shirt, Mom Jeans, Sneakers

Bonus Outfit

Is this a pretty basic outfit? Yes. Is it stylish while also being extremely wearable? Yes. Does it make anyone who wears it a dead ringer for *that* picture of Dwayne the Rock Johnson? Also yes. You can’t lose with this one.

Items Used: Turtleneck, Mom Jeans, Boots.

Try this challenge out for yourself! 

Annie Doane

Carleton '23

I'm in the Journalism program here at Carleton, and I'm so excited to be writing for HerCampus. I have a passion for writing, fashion, and makeup, as well as trying out all sorts of new food.