This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

New school years offer the opportunity for growth. This is the best time to start new habits and routines. Each year offers you time to reflect on the previous year and the things you’ve learned – so yes, you have a bit of homework before school really kicks in.

Make a list of all the long- and short-term goals you have for the year. Make sure you write both down, so the changes you make now will affect the results you want to see in the future. Whether it is something physical, mental, social, or educational, write them down. Each aspect of your life should have some sort of goal because life is not stagnant, and you should always look for ways to improve. They can be as serious as starting your homework earlier, applying for a job, or even laughing more. 

Here is a list of some growth goals I have: ​

STOP PROCRASTINATING

– Write down all the events, assignments and important dates you know for the year

– Make a plan of attack on how you to accomplish all these tasks

– Try your assignments two weeks ahead of the due-date so you have time to talk to your professors or teaching assistants before it’s too late (it also gives you time to work in incriminates so you don’t overwhelm yourself).

INVEST IN A PLANNER

– Using a planner will keep you organized and help you be more efficient

– You don’t need to remember everything all the time, and this keeps things from falling through the cracks

– Make it cute so you’re more likely to use it

EAT HEALTHY

– Make eating healthier your priority

– You will perform better and sleep better

BE A PART OF SOMETHING IMPORTANT

– You will find a sense of belonging and community

– Great networking opportunities

– You will learn from those around you

HAVE ENCOURAGING PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE

– The people you surround yourself impact and influence you a lot, so be inspired to be the best version of yourself

– Make sure they’re sincere and want what’s best for you

SELF-REFLECT

– Make time for yourself to evaluate your mental health

– Think about the decisions you made and where you can improve

Be the best you, you can be. 

Zoya Davis

Carleton '22

Zoya Davis is a journalism student at Carleton University and has contributed to several different blogs and websites over the last 3 years. She also runs a photography account on Instagram (@stillfrxme) and can often be found online shopping or trying to discover new music.