This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Many Carleton University students are new to Ottawa and may find it difficult in their first year in the city to discover good places to eat that aren’t Roosters or Tim Hortons. Here’s a curated list of restaurants close to Carleton University that this self-proclaimed foodie loves!

Lili Pies – 274 Preston

Lili Pies is a Preston Street staple. In minutes you can get hot and fresh hand pies for a couple of dollars. This is a great choice for those on a budget who want to eat really good food. Pro Tip: If they ask you to put lemon on your hand pie, say yes. 

DreamLand Cafe – 262 Preston

You can’t miss the bright pink building off of Preston and Gladstone! Run by two Italian-Canadian sisters, this quaint and curated little restaurant in Little Italy serves the best homemade pasta in Ottawa. Take a few friends to this spot and enjoy the bright and floral ambiance!

Yang Sheng – 662 Somerset

Yang Sheng Restaurant is an excellent choice for both Chinese take-out and dining in! Order your favourites and try something new off of their extensive and mouth-watering menu. It’s no wonder this family establishment has been a success since 1976!

The Scone Witch – various locations 

This little bakery is a favourite among my friends. It’s especially nice to grab a scone and a cup of coffee or tea on a crisp fall day. Any time we find ourselves near one, we take the time to pop by The Scone Witch! 

Ahora – 307 Dalhousie

Ahora is regarded as the best Mexican food in Ottawa and rightfully deserves such a claim! The bright decor will transport you to Mexico and the delicious food will keep you coming back. And the cherry on top is that Ahora’s menu includes vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options so you can take anyone here! 

Carlington Coffee House – 917 Merivale Road 

Maybe the most literal hidden gem on this list, this inconspicuous little house serves some top-tier coffee and baked goods that you would not expect to find in a house-turned-cafe on Merivale. Take a breather and savour your treats in the calming backyard.

Les Grillades – 111 Colonnade Road

If you’re willing to take the short drive to Prince of Wales and Colonnade you have to check out Les Grillades. Here you’ll find some of the best Lebanese food in all of Ottawa including the most succulent smoked meats, fragrant rices, and the best hummus and baba ghanoush ever.

Now that you have a list of the best foods, treats, and meals around the city – enjoy your Ottawa food journey!

hey i'm Vanessa and if i could use my memory for school instead of storing useless facts about pop culture i'd be a genius.