Career

Her Campus Carleton CC Spotlight: Mariam Abdel-Akher (2019-2020)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

In celebration of Women’s History Month, Her Campus Carleton decided to take a look back and celebrate the women who ran our chapter before us.

Our fifth and final Campus Correspondent spotlight is Mariam Abdel-Akher, who became Her Campus Carleton’s first sole CC in 2019. After graduating with her Bachelor of Journalism at Carleton, Mariam went on to work for two different communications departments within the Government of Canada. She is now doing her Masters in Media Practice for Social Change and Development at the University of Sussex in the U.K.

Here, Mariam gives us some insight into her life now as well as some reflections from her time as Her Campus Carleton’s first sole CC.

What year did you become CC? How long did you hold this position? 

I became the Campus Correspondent throughout the 2019-2020 academic year at Carleton University. It was the second year I was a part of Her Campus Carleton, where I held the position of Senior Editor the year prior. It was an amazing experience to go from editing to holding a presidential position with an incredible group of ladies!

Can you provide a brief summary of what you’ve done since graduating? (Where you’ve travelled, worked, how you got where you are) 

Since the pandemic hit and (I graduated) from Zoom University, I have been thinking a lot about next steps, breaking free of my fears, and how my experiences at Carleton will help shape my future. I’ve had a lot of fun recently! I moved to the United Kingdom with the intention of breaking into international development in September 2021 and I ended up falling in love, travelling across Europe, and excelling in my studies.

This has been such an amazing journey, being a part of a new culture, with new and exciting challenges. It’s been a very happy time since graduating, but I always reminisce on my love for Her Campus!

What benefit do you think Her Campus provides for college/university women?

The empowerment Her Campus provides is unlike any other club I have seen at Carleton. We were such an open community, with diverse and beautiful women at the forefront. The community is also so big and we love to provide each other with encouragement during some of the hardest times of our lives.

Her Campus created a space for me where I could connect with other women and network, all while building my skills. It encourages women to feel comfortable in a space designed for them, and even help build it along the way. Her Campus Carleton is a great way to build social media, marketing, event, and writing/editing skills!

What are you most proud of accomplishing?

I believe our presence significantly grew on campus the year I was Campus Correspondent! Each of our executives was part of different communities at Carleton, studying different undergrads and had different friends. So, we were able to expand our reach to so many different people, through social media and word-of-mouth. That was one of our main goals at the beginning of the year and we achieved it!

What advice would you have for Carleton women hoping to break into the work industry?

Don’t be frightened if you don’t get a job at first! It’s always difficult and stressful to find work right after an undergrad. I was in the same position, and even when I did find a job, I was jumping from contract to contract. However, the reason I was able to find a position within the federal government was because I spent my time doing internships, placements, and various part-time jobs throughout my bachelor’s. I wasn’t exactly doing it for the money, but for the experience and to build an excellent resume.

Once you do get the interview, treat it like a conversation — like you’re talking to a friend! There’s no need to be nervous and just be yourself. Whatever comes will come, and you WILL find the job you’re meant to work in.

Any further comments you’d like our readers to know? 

If you’re thinking of joining Her Campus Carleton, you most definitely should! Even if you don’t have time to become an executive, I have used a lot of my published work from Her Campus to apply for jobs seeking proof of publication/portfolio. It means something to get your work out there! You got it, girl.

Rawan is the former President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Carleton's '21-22 school year. She started out as film student before pursuing her passion for storytelling at J-School. When she's not reading or writing, you can find her fawning over cats and splurging on things she absolutely shouldn't be.