katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Her Campus Carleton CC Spotlight: Jasmine Williams (2012-2014)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

In celebration of Women’s History Month, Her Campus Carleton decided to take a look back and celebrate the women who ran our chapter before us.

Our first Campus Correspondent spotlight is Jasmine Williams, who launched Carleton’s Her Campus chapter alongside her co-CC, Harsimar Singh, in 2012. She went on to hold the position up until she graduated in 2014.

Jasmine is now an award-winning writer, content marketing expert, and the founder of Jasmine Williams Media, a boutique content marketing consultancy serving a global roster of industry-leading companies and visionaries. She’s also the founder of Click-worthy Creatives, an education hub and community for freelance creatives. Using strategic storytelling, she helps creative entrepreneurs, coaches, consultants, and growth-stage startups scale their businesses across North America.

Selfie of Jasmine Williams
Photo by Jasmine Williams

Here, Jasmine gives us some insight into her life now as well as some reflections from her time as Her Campus Carleton’s first co-CC.

Can you provide a brief summary of what you’ve done since graduating? (Where you’ve travelled, worked, how you got where you are)

I’ve worked both in media and marketing. I completed internships at CTV and CMAJ, worked as a writer and editor for Notable Life, and held content marketing roles at Talent EggTextbooks for Change, and Futurpreneur. In 2018, I started my own consulting business, Jasmine Williams Media, and never looked back!

I work with industry-leading companies and support them with done-for-you copywriting, content writing, and content strategy services. I also help new and aspiring freelancers launch and grow their own businesses through my blog, newsletter, Facebook community, course, and digital products.

I also completed a master’s degree in media production at Ryerson University and I’ve travelled quite a bit since graduation. I’ve been to Rwanda, Brazil, Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal and the UK. 

What benefit do you think Her Campus provides for college/university women?

I learned so much from launching and running Her Campus. From building and managing a leadership team and freelance writers to planning events and social media campaigns, I gained a ton of skills that opened a lot of doors for me once I graduated. It was a lot of work but it was really rewarding. I’m still in touch with quite a few HC club members too!

What is your favourite memory?

It’s hard to pick but I think the events we planned. We hosted a yoga class and held a birthday party in the Atrium. We had a lot of fun!

What advice would you have for Carleton women hoping to break into the work industry?

Say yes to as many different opportunities as you can because you don’t know what you’ll end up really liking (or not liking). When I was at Carleton, I thought I really wanted to be a TV journalist, and then later a science reporter, but when I did internships at a morning news show and a medical journal, I realized I didn’t really like those niches. But I’m so grateful for all of those experiences because they helped me figure out what I was really passionate about. 

Any further comments you’d like our readers to know?

This is SO cheesy but enjoy your uni time because the years go by quickly! Join all the clubs, go to all the events, etc. etc. Those experiences can be just as impactful as your classes, trust me. 

Rawan is the former President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Carleton's '21-22 school year. She started out as film student before pursuing her passion for storytelling at J-School. When she's not reading or writing, you can find her fawning over cats and splurging on things she absolutely shouldn't be.