Career

Her Campus Carleton CC Spotlight: Hunza Chaudhary (2018-2019)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

In celebration of Women’s History Month, Her Campus Carleton decided to take a look back and celebrate the women who ran our chapter before us.

Our fourth Campus Correspondent spotlight is Hunza Chaudhary, who relaunched Carleton’s Her Campus chapter alongside her co-CC, Melanie Ritchot, in 2018. She currently works as a corporate research analyst at the CRA.

Hunza Chaudhary
Photo by Dawood Hussain

Here, Hunza gives us some insight into her life now as well as some reflections from her time as Her Campus Carleton’s second co-founder and co-CC.

Can you provide a brief summary of what you’ve done since graduating? (Where you’ve travelled, worked, how you got where you are) 

After graduation, I worked full-time in various government departments. I also completed my master’s degree this past summer. Although I didn’t get to travel as much because of COVID-19, I still managed to safely squeeze in a girl’s trip to New York City this past summer and a solo grad trip to England in October!

What benefit do you think Her Campus provides for college/university women?

Her Campus is not only a great outlet for all individuals to meet like-minded folks and make new friends, but it’s also a chance to express any and all interests through different mediums. It’s a chance to explore different outlets of a publication and figure out what works best for you — whether that is organizing social events, writing articles, being a social media coordinator, etc. There is so much opportunity in participating in a hands-on publication like Her Campus — plus, it doesn’t look too bad on your resumé either!

What is your favourite memory from your time as CC?

My favourite memory at Her Campus was watching the folks I worked with (becoming) good friends. We all had a lot on our plates as full-time students but watching everyone put time and effort into making it the success it has become has to be my favourite memory.

I remember hosting our first-ever poetry night at a café which not only sold out, but people were waiting outside the venue hoping to be let in! Another time, we woke up early and groggy to hike in Gatineau Park to see the autumn colours from the top of King Mountain. Another time, we made breakfast together as a team. We also projected The Devil Wears Prada on my living-room floor and laughed ’til our stomachs hurt. These are just some of my favourite memories.

What are you most proud of accomplishing?

I’m proud of graduating with honours and working as a full-time student putting myself through school. I’m proud of completing my master’s degree amidst a pandemic! I’m excited to see what the future holds.

What advice would you have for Carleton women hoping to break into the work industry?

Don’t be afraid to speak up and ask for what you deserve. Imposter syndrome is real but you are accomplished and sought-after and an asset! Do not sell yourself short.

Rawan is the former President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Carleton's '21-22 school year. She started out as film student before pursuing her passion for storytelling at J-School. When she's not reading or writing, you can find her fawning over cats and splurging on things she absolutely shouldn't be.