This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

The best time of year for music fans has come! Spotify Wrapped has dropped for users of the streaming platform who can now examine and share their listening habits from the past year. You’re able to see your top artists, songs and genres of the year captured in a cute highlight reel of the music that has soundtracked your year.

Previous to the release, executive members of Her Campus Carleton curated our predictions for our most listened-to artists of 2023 and discussed the music we have been loving this year!

Teni

Predicting my top artist is so difficult because my song listening patterns constantly undergo different moods, genres and seasons. Last year it was Taylor Swift and I’m inclined to believe that it will be again this year. Although I don’t call myself a ‘Swiftie,’ I do thoroughly enjoy her music and listened to it a lot during the summer while I worked remotely. I haven’t listened to her much this school year and have instead shifted gears to more indie and pop artists like boygenius, Noah Kahan, Olivia Rodrigo, wasia project and my newest obsession – Jensen Mcrae. Taylor has been releasing her old albums under ‘Taylor’s Version’ for the past couple of years now and to support her, I only listen to those albums and any newer ones she makes. My favourite Taylor Swift song of all time is “the last great american dynasty” from Folklore because I am a big lyric person and Folklore comes off as a fictional book written by Taylor herself.

Audrey

My top artist for this year might be a tie between Lana Del Rey or The Beatles. I remember being obsessed with Lana’s new album Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd when it came out in March as it had a very different feel to it compared to some of her previous albums. I’ve also just been a fan of her music style for a while and most of my music library is filled with her songs. 

If Lana somehow isn’t my top artist, then I’d say The Beatles would be since I also have a large selection of favourite songs by them. They’ve always been a favourite of mine growing up since my parents are both huge fans, and I particularly enjoy a lot of their songs from their psychedelic era. 

As for my favourite songs, my favourite from Lana would be “Let the Light In” with Father John Misty, while my favourite from The Beatles would be “Dear Prudence.”

Hailey

Tate McRae has been on every Spotify playlist I’ve created this year. It always feels like she is reading my mind and is with me through the ups and downs, and that’s why I believe that she is my top artist this year. Her album i used to think i could fly has been one of my favourite pieces of work that she has done throughout her career. Her music speaks to me in a way that makes her stand out from others. Maybe it’s because I relate to her in a lot of ways, but she continues to write about what life has to offer and it’s comforting to have music like this by your side. Lately, I’ve been listening to her newest release, titled “Greedy”, and she reminds me of how life is supposed to be: fun, loving, and imperfect. And we are the main characters of our own stories, and she showcases just that. She continues to inspire me, no matter what life has to offer, and I can’t wait to stream her newest album.

Ana

I wouldn’t be surprised if Taylor Swift appeared as my top artist on Spotify; she has held that position for years. One of the things I love most about her music is the lyrical aspect of it. I love how she’ll be at her most vulnerable, and she’ll allow you to do the same. Her voice, melodies, and production always surprise me because it’s that good. Her storytelling abilities are outstanding, and I don’t know how she does it, but I can feel her emotions through her songs. While I had listened to her popular songs before, Taylor Swift became my favorite artist after my grandfather gifted me the 1989 Deluxe CD in 2014. I vividly recall playing the CD in the car every single day until my whole family had the entire album ingrained in their memories. It was amazing to see her live back in August. I sang until my voice became unrecognizable, hugged the stranger beside me, and sobbed my way through the concert. It was the best night of my life. Because I could never choose my favorite Taylor Swift song, my favorite albums are folklore, Reputation, Midnights, evermore, and 1989.

Abyssinia

Spotify has always been in the background of my study sessions, my walks to campus, and my slow Saturday mornings. This year, I predict my Spotify Wrapped to be filled with Christmas songs. As someone who loves Christmas, I had to start listening to Michael Bubble and watching Home Alone in August! Other than the usual Christmas tunes,  I predict the following songs to make it to my top three this year: “Without You” by David Guetta, “Perfect” by Ed Sheeran, and a good ol’ throwback from Etta James “I’d Rather Go Blind.” My top three artists this year would be Fireboy DML, Mahalia, and Taylor Swift. Finally… podcasts. I’ve listened to a variety of podcasts this year, but my top one would be “The Mel Robbins Podcast” by the lovely Mel Robbins. Another one close to my heart is “Seasoned Dialogue” with Lisa-Marie where I get my words of inspiration, growth, and healing. Last but not least, “The Daily” from The New York Times is at the top to stay informed and educated! 

Melissa

My top artist for this year will definitely be the band Inhaler. I first started listening to them in late 2022 after seeing praise for their first album It Won’t Always Be Like This online. I fell in love with their upbeat indie rock sounds and the nostalgia it brought me to my music taste as a teenager. The group released their new album Cuts and Bruises in February of this year and it made my appreciation for the band skyrocket. The lightheartedness and infectious energy of the record made it become on of my favourites of this year, especially during a chaotic semester of school. The album has now morphed into my go-to when I need a pick-me-up. I was lucky enough to see the band live in March in Montreal and I had an amazing time! I would say my favourite song by them is “Valentine” as I love its mellow yet emotional production and lyricism that makes me dance and ponder simultaneously.

Happy Spotify Wrapped!

Melissa White

Carleton '24

Melissa is the Senior Editor at Her Campus Carleton for the 2023-24 school year. She is a Psychology and English Literature student who loves all things arts and culture related. Her work has been featured in HerCampus and The Charlatan.