HCC EXECS: OUR FAV ACTIVITIES FOR AN ENDLESS OTTAWA WINTER

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Even though it’s already nearing the end of March the inevitable has once again happened: there’s still snow in Ottawa! In light of everyone being forced to go out in the snow, we’ve come up with our favourite winter activities to keep you entertained until spring truly comes!

KNITTING – ARIA MANN

When asked about my favourite winter activity, many things come to mind. Skating? Hot chocolate? Sure, all of these things are the essence of winter.  However, to me, nothing is so clearly associated with the cold months than scarves. Scarf-making is a beautiful craft also known, in this case, as knitting. I’m sure this can be accomplished with crochet as well. But I don’t play for that team, so let’s not talk about it. There is something so satisfying about doing the same stitch 5000 times so you can create a long rectangle. And then doing the same thing over and over again. You can knit while doing anything – watching holiday movies, sitting on a plane, sitting on a bus, skiing (?). It is truly the king of multitasking. We need to reclaim learning these kinds of household crafts and arts at all ages. Pick up knitting this winter.

WATCHING MOVIES IN BED- LEILA MOHABEER-ORTIZ

My favourite winter activity this season has been escaping the cold by curling under my duvet and rewatching old shows and movies I loved as a kid or teenager. I’ve been pretty overwhelmed with school and work, so letting myself relax and take a breather from the everyday stressors has been my saving grace this winter. Settling into bed and under the covers with a snack and my comfy PJs on is a simple pleasure I’ll never get enough of.

SKATING – MAYESHA ALAM

Does anyone remember Lorelai’s iconic quote, “I smell snow”? That’s basically me during the first snowfall of the year. I get all dressed up and go skating. One of my core memories from my childhood was my half-brother teaching me how to skate. Him being a hockey player and all, he taught me how to skate like those speedy hockey players. I love going all fast and furious on the ice. There’s something powerful about gliding on the ice so I always make it a mission to go skating in the winter.

COZYING UP AND WATCHING TV – RIANNA LIM

Winter never seems to end in Ottawa, and what also never seems to end is my love for cozying up and watching a good movie. One of my favourite ways to unwind in cold weather is putting on a documentary or a new TV series (The Last of Us and Succession are especially good!) and pulling up my favourite blanket to have a warm, relaxing night. I look forward to doing this every week! In fact, this might also be my favourite spring, summer and fall activity…

HIKING IN THE SNOW – RACHEL FISET

This is absolutely my favourite thing to do in the winter! Getting to go out in the woods, crunching on snow and letting small snowflakes fall onto my toque and hair definitely puts me in the winter mood. I especially love it because it’s become something I regularly do with my family on the weekends, which gives us the chance to de-connect from the web and reconnect with each other while getting exercise! Though I love hiking in any season, my winter walks seem to be extra special. Nothing better than working up a sweat while simultaneously freezing your butt off!

Do you have a favourite winter activity you want to share with the world? DM us on Instagram @hccarleton and we’ll feature it on our story!

Rachel Fiset

Carleton '23

Rachel is a Journalism and Political Science combined honours student. She loves to write, read, and learn any way she can! Rachel enjoys keeping busy, and along with HerCampus is involved with The Charlatan, CKCU 93.1 FM, Book Ravens, and the Campus Activity Board.