HCC Execs: What we’re looking forward to this summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

As the school year comes to a close, we here at Her Campus Carleton are gearing up for some fun in the sun! I spoke to our exec team to see what they’re going to be up to this summer season.

Tans, sunsets and vibes – Emma Holloway, intern

Summer is the best time of year and I can’t wait for it. I’m looking forward to having a break from school and getting my tan back! Summer is such a vibe. I can’t wait to try new patios, watch the pretty summer sunsets and attend some concerts. There’s so much to do!

I’m most excited to break out some new outfits though! This will be my first summer in Ottawa and I’m really looking forward to it.

SUMMER RESET – Leila Mohabeer-Ortiz, INTERN

Summer is my favourite season because it’s probably the time of year I feel most alive and most like myself. I’m looking forward to almost everything: the warm weather and sun, beach days, being able to wear skirts and dresses… I love it all!

What I’m most excited for, though, is having the time to reset. This was a really full and intense school year for me, and I think having the time to pull back and take some time to just chill out will be really beneficial.

Fresh air and fun – Cassandra Richardson, treasurer

This summer, I’m looking forward to getting outside more! Between online classes and staying inside to avoid the brutal Ottawa winters, I’m ready to see the sun again. When the weather is nicer, I love having picnics with my friends, going roller skating and checking out new hikes around the city.

Since we’ve been pretty cooped up the past few years, it feels great to get outside and get fresh air. Ottawa is a fantastic city for the outdoors; I’m surrounded by the Greenbelt and great walking trails. I’ll do my best to take advantage of them!

Fun with fRIENDS – Sherlly Russel-Kingsley, social media executive

This summer is going to be a packed one. I’m looking forward to my graduation and to a new start in life. But since this will also be my last “summer vacation” I want to enjoy it to the fullest. My friends and I are going to Montreal for the first time.

I’m also having my first birthday party after a long time, plus my best friend will be driving up from the U.S. to see me! My friends and I are moving into a new home with a pretty yard, so sunbathing, lazy picnics and happy music are all in the mix! It’s going to be a fun and exciting four months! Can’t wait!

Travel and Tunes – Emma Hodgson, social media & marketing director

There are so many things that I am excited about this summer. It feels like finally there are things we can do that we haven’t been able to for the past couple of years. Of course, everything I do will be done safely and masked, but it’s exciting to think about what’s ahead.

First, I cannot wait to travel. I’ll be travelling outside of the country for the first time since the pandemic began and I can’t wait to experience new things. It also gives me the chance to see long-distance friends that I haven’t seen in years!

Next, I am extremely excited about concerts. Music is one of my favourite things ever and there is nothing better than sharing a love for an artist with a room full of people singing along.

To put it simply: I’m excited for fun adventures with the people I love.

Exploring new places – Jenna Legge, events executive

I can’t believe the school year has almost come to an end! The possibility of finally having a typical summer kept me going as exams crept closer.

This summer, I’m most looking forward to getting to travel again. I love exploring new places and experiencing new cultures. I’ll appreciate my upcoming trips more this year because the last two years have been filled with cancelled trips. Getting the chance to meet new people again will be the clear highlight of my summer.

concert countdown – Krissy Draper, events director

This summer, I am looking forward to not having to do school work and also all of the concerts that are happening! My friends and I have four concerts this summer and I cannot be more excited.

We are going to see Chris Stapleton, The Chicks, Luke Combs, and Eric Church (how GOOD of a lineup is that!). It is going to be so surreal to be back in a stadium singing along to my favourite music. The countdown to summer is ON!

READING AND RELAXATION – Rachel Fiset, ASSOCIATE EDITOR

I am so excited to read more this summer and be in the sun! Although I have been better about reading for fun during this semester, my TBR is steadily growing. I’m so looking forward to getting some of those checked off my list!

I’m also looking forward to no longer chattering when I go outside or waiting for my car to heat up. Getting to roast in the sun (while wearing sunscreen of course!) is something I’ve been long dreaming of as I’ve shovelled my driveway, trudged through the snow to class, and shivered to wait for my car to warm up.

Above all else, I’m looking forward to working and taking a mental break from academics!

NEW OPPORTUNITIES – Ashley Hermalin, ASSOCIATE EDITOR

Not only am I looking forward to the warm weather, sunshine and fashion, but I will also be travelling for an internship this summer. I’m so excited to spend some time learning and experiencing the workforce!

I’m also looking forward to being in a new country and making new friends. I got tickets for my first music festival with one of my best friends and I am so excited to attend! This summer is going to be jam-packed, but full of fun for sure.

FAMILY MEMORIES – Rianna Lim, SENIOR EDITOR

This summer, I’m really looking forward to my brother’s wedding! It’s the first wedding in my immediate family and it’s also the first time I’m going to experience being a bridesmaid. My brother is an extremely special person to me so this summer is all about celebrating the love between him and his fiancée.

Helping to plan things and hearing the excitement of my family members as the date grows nearer has already been so awesome and I’m trying to remember every minute of it. I can’t wait for it all to come together for the special day!

RECONNECTING WITH CULTURE and family – Rawan Youssef, Campus Correspondent

The thing I’m most looking forward to this summer is going back home to Egypt. Immigration can be a pretty isolating experience, especially when you’ve moved across oceans to a whole new way of life. Money gets tight and regular visits become a faraway luxury. It’s now been a decade since I’ve seen my extended family – my cousins, aunts and uncles, even my grandmother, none of whom have seen me since I was 15.

I am now 25, at the cusp of graduation, and a completely different person, so I’m beyond excited to finally reconnect with my relatives and not only get to know them in a way I didn’t appreciate before but also reconnect with my beautiful culture again.

The HCC exec team hopes you have an awesome summer! What does your summer have in store for you? Let us know @HCCarleton on Instagram!

Rianna Lim

Carleton '23

Rianna Lim is a journalism and political science double major at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. She is a former Her Campus National Writer and the 2022-23 editor-in-chief of Her Campus at Carleton (and loving it!). She is a passionate reader, London fog lover, and baseball fan. Follow her on Twitter @riannalim02!