This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

If you are looking to find some inspiration this term, need to get out and take a study break or are even just looking for something to do than you should consider paying some of these art galleries around Ottawa a visit. This guide to art galleries in Ottawa includes a mix of both smaller local art galleries as well as some more well-known art galleries. All of which are located in Centretown and the Byward Market area and are very accessible by Ottawa public transportation.

1. Gallery 101 – 280 Catherine Street

Photo by Nina Chin

This first gallery is located in centretown, right across from the Ottawa bus terminal on Catherine Street. Gallery 101 supports local art by periodically switching the exhibits to allow different local artists the opportunity to show their pieces. Because the gallery is small, it generally features one exhibit at a time, pushing the audience to fully engage and familiarize themselves with the one collection.

The gallery also typically hosts a presentation from the artist of the collection that is showing. This is helpful to get to know more about what inspired the featured pieces and get a better feel for the artist themselves. The exhibit schedule is shown on the gallery’s website along with the times of the artist presentations. This gallery is also free, so put away your money. 

2. Karsh-Masson Art Gallery (City Hall) – 110 Laurier Ave West

The Karsh-Masson Art Gallery is located inside city hall and features a variety of contemporary art pieces. It includes but is not limited to paintings, short films, mixed media pieces and sketches. This gallery is smaller but often switches up all of its featured pieces. They also has offer free admission and are open daily 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

3. Ottawa Art Gallery (OAG) – 50 Mackenzie King Bridge

The OAG just recently opened their doors this summer next to the Rideau Centre. It is one of the bigger galleries listed in this guide and interestingly, is considered the municipal art gallery for Ottawa. This gallery has a large selection of artwork that is on permanent display. The majority of the pieces in the permanent collection hold some sort of cultural and historical significance to the Ottawa/Gatineau area. In addition, there are a multitude of new exhibits the gallery will feature for a specific period. The schedule for these art exhibits can be found on the gallery’s website.

The gallery has its own upscale café, where you can enjoy a latte and reflect on the artwork. You can also visit their gift shop and pick up a souvenir. There is no admission charge at the OAG and you can even go on a one hour guided tour every Sunday at 1 p.m, 2 p.m. or 3 p.m.

4. Alpha Art Gallery – 531 Sussex Drive

Photo by Nina Chin

Alpha Art Gallery is a beautiful artist-run gallery in the Byward Market that displays an array of mixed media paintings and a few sculptures. This gallery has two levels open to the public and has a very intimate feel.

A few of the artists actually use the upper level, which is not open to the public, as studio space to work on new pieces. This provides the viewers with the opportunity to talk to the artists as they often hang around and are available to answer any questions about the artwork. Dominik Sokolowski, an artist who helps run the gallery, has many of his own pieces featured and is around to also answer questions.

This local gallery does not charge an admission fee and is open until 6 p.m. from Wednesday to Friday.

5. Galerie St-Laurent + Hill – 293 Dalhousie Street

Photo by Nina Chin

Another smaller gallery tucked away in the Byward Market is Gallerie St-Laurent + Hill. This gallery has all of its pieces in a very open space–all located on one level. With a mixture of photography, paintings, and sculptures, it is the perfect gallery for these looking to view a variety of art forms. It is also supposed begin exhibiting a new collection shortly and will have it on display come next month.

This gallery does not charge an entry fee and is open until 6 p.m. Tuesday to Friday.

6. Galerie L. A Pai Gallery – 13 Murray Street

Photo by Nina Chin

Also in the Byward Market, this gallery mainly displays many smaller sculptures and beautiful pieces of jewelry. From contemporary statement necklaces to larger sculptures, this gallery has a lot of pieces that involve a variety of metals, glasses and ceramic. The jewelry is displayed towards the front of the gallery and the sculptures located more towards the back.

This gallery has a lot going on in a small space, be sure to take a good look in order to appreciate all of its pieces. This gallery does not charge an entry fee and stays open until 6 p.m. Monday to Friday.

7. National Gallery of Canada – 380 Sussex Drive

Photo by Nina Chin

Last but not definitely not least, is the National Gallery of Canada a visit. Besides being Canada’s national art gallery and one of Ottawa’s major tourist attractions, this gallery has a lot to offer in terms of exhibits. With multiple floors, there are specific areas dedicated to specific art movements. The gallery offers audio tours which are available for purchase after entry and are great for anyone looking to listen and enjoy.

Many of this Gallery’s permanent exhibits are deeply rooted in Canadian history which can lead to the unexpected and unique look into Canada’s past. The National Gallery also frequently exhibits more experiential geared art pieces that are immersive. Due to the huge variety of exhibits and forms of art, this gallery can be easily enjoyed by everyone.

This gallery also has a large gift shop, a chic lounge area that serves drinks and appetizers and a cafeteria. The National Gallery does have an admission fee of $7 for students, with identification, but is free on Thursdays from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. 

Hopefully you get the chance to visit at least one, if not all, of these art galleries. Ottawa’s art gallery scene is surprisingly diverse in what it has to offer, and is a great way to get out of the house without actually having to endure the cold for too long. Get out there and get artsy!

Nina Chin

Carleton '20

Nina is a third-year Communications and Media studies student at Carleton University. She loves snowboarding, traveling and is very passionate about almost all things art related. She spends most of her time sipping lattes and hanging out with friends.