Going Abroad After Graduation Could Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

The world of graduation can be incredibly daunting. After spending the first 18 years of your life in mandatory school, then realizing you’re a strong, independent person with dreams and ambitions who wants to get a degree, you have now successfully spent about 22 years in the education system. It’s a safe little bubble, I can’t blame people who become professional students and stay in school forever. But, if you’re the majority, graduation means that it’s time to leave that comfortable, cushioned shell, and spread your metaphorical strong independent wings to fly out into the real world.

For so many years you have been told you need to know what you’re going to do with your life and have a plan. However, university is this magical place that opens your eyes to reality and you suddenly realize that there are so many paths, highways and planes that you can take that no one ever told you about before the age of 18.

Hell! You’re not even limited to your own country. Graduation is suddenly this blossoming window of opportunity that offers you the entire world and before you turn 30, it’s right at your fingertips waiting for you. Right after graduation is the most ideal time to look at working and traveling abroad.

We’ve put together a list of things to consider if you’re thinking about spreading your wings:

1. Do it before you turn 30

Before turning 30, the world is at your fingertips. All youth travel visas (also known as youth mobility visas) are easily accessible, don’t need proof of employment, and are good from one to two years. After that, your visa is going to take a heck of a lot longer and more effort to obtain. A lot of accommodations, travel passes, and tourist attractions are also a lot cheaper before 30.

Photo by Ibrahim Rifath on Unsplash

2. You’ll grow as a person

It might sound lame, but being in another country alone and left to figure out where you’re going to live, how you’re going to get everywhere, how you’re going to budget and pay all of your bills, teaches you countless life lessons that you are never going to forget. You’re going to have experiences and meet people that you probably never would have imagined. And let’s be honest – your taste buds are going to flourish from all of the new food and drinks!

Photo by Le Minh Phuong on Unsplash

3. Seriously consider the agency you use

You might be one of the brave ones who throws your middle finger up to agencies, and makes the giant leave of faith 100 percent on your own. If that’s the case, we applaud you immensely. However, moving and finding a job, and figuring out where to live in another country is a big deal. Don’t let anyone tell you that it’s not and this is what agencies are put into place for. They help you figure out all of the fun stuff.

However, there are a lot of them out there. You need to remember that they are a business and to them, you are money.

Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash

When looking at agencies, make sure you ask all of the hard questions. You need to know that you’re getting the best care that you can possibly get in another country. You need to make sure your agency isn’t going to drop you the second you land on their soil because they now have you where they want you.

Please remember: the agency will take a cut of your pay. Ask them upfront how much it will be and mentally prepare yourself so that you can budget accordingly.

4. Housing

This is a big one. You don’t want to live on the streets. Breathe deeply because you are going to find somewhere to live. However, do your research before you go. Look on all of the estate agent sites, the sights equivalent to Kijiji.com and any room share sites.

Decide before you go if you want to live alone or with other people.

Photo by Samuel Zeller on Unsplash

Living with other people can be lovely and they can become your home away from home. It can also be challenging and you can end up living with a lunatic. Meet the people or person before signing your lease agreement. You’ll know in your gut what the right decision is.

5. Meeting people

Decide how you want to meet people.

What kinds of things are you involved in at home? Can you be involved in them overseas?

Photo by Kelsey Chance on Unsplash

The last thing you want to do is end up in a new country with no friends and family and then in no position to meet people. People need other people and you need to find your people.

6. Budgeting

It might sound silly, but you don’t have much of a safety net for the first little while in terms of finances. Make sure you know approximately how much you’re going to be making and when you are going to get paid.

Sit down and write yourself a budget that allows you to save money each month. This way, you have a safety net so that you are never completely stuck. If the currency is good to the Canadian dollar, then perhaps you want to save money to exchange back to Canadian, to have some extra cash whenever you decide to move back.

7. Travel

This is your time. Whichever countries are close; go and see them. Traveling to these countries will never be cheaper than when you are right near them, especially in Europe.

Plus, you never know who you are going to meet and what kind of friendships will form.

Photo by Artem Bali on Unsplash

You will never regret traveling. It might empty out your bank account and you might find yourself in the middle of a country with only $20 to your name, but as long as you spent that money to make yourself happy, it’s all worth it. You will always make more money, but you will never get your time back.

We promise you, your life will get richer from travel. You will learn about the world and mostly about yourself.

Jana Lee Morris

Carleton '17

Jana is a Canadian native who ventured overseas and landed in the United Kingdom after graduation. Having achieved a degree in Visual Arts and English, she seeks to pass her passions onto the next generation; teaching in an English school. She is passionate about empowering individuals, has a deep love for food, and can often be found in her natural habitat in the classroom teaching, or in the gym training for powerlifting. On weekends and breaks, you can find her travelling and exploring new cultures, probably with local cusine in hand. Most of all, Jana is passionate about leanring, and ensuring everyone has the opportunity to learn - including herself. Soon, you will see her entering her eighth year of school to finally obtain a master's degree; four degrees later. If you want to follow along, you can find her on Instagram @janaleemorris_