Garrett Duval ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Name: Garrett Duval
Hometown: Guelph, ON
Major/Year: Criminology’ 14, specialization in Law.
Relationship Status: In a relationship

What are your favourite activities or hobbies? I play the guitar, as well as write songs. I’m athletic and love sports, especially soccer. Also I am a hockey fan.

Where is your favourite place to be on campus? I’d have to say the Unicentre, everything is there.

What is a random fact about you? I’m Aboriginal. No one ever believes that though because I don’t look like it.

Personality wise, what are your turn-ons? A girl who is down to earth and respects herself and her family. Also, definitely a girl with a sense of humor; I like to crack a lot of jokes. Overall, I’d have to say I like just an honest and caring girl.

What about turn-offs? A girl who talks bad about her family. Also, someone who cannot be trusted, trust is key.

What are your favourite physical qualities in a girl? A girl’s eyes for sure. Or if a girl is in a sundress and cowboy boots, yeah definitely.  

Are there any songs that remind you of your girlfriend? Well to start, any song that I’ve written for her. But other than that, country songs such as “Old Alabama” by Brad Paisley, “Smile” by Uncle Kracker and any song by Luke Bryan because he is her favourite.

What is the cutest thing a girl has done for you? My current girlfriend, when I was bussing home at Christmas, came and surprised me by meeting me at 5 a.m. when I arrived in Toronto with hot chocolate and Cinnabons. She then stayed with me and waited until my bus came to take me home. That was definitely the sweetest thing.

Is your relationship a long-distance relationship? How do you handle it, and what advice can you give to others? My relationship is a long-distance one. You have to make sure to communicate or else it just won’t work. Don’t put too much pressure on one another, and enjoy your time together. That’s how I manage.

So Leafs or Sens? Definitely Leafs, I’m a diehard fan. When my girlfriend came up and brought tickets to the Leafs vs. Sens game, my roommate came with and we made a bet, since he’s a Sens fan. Do you know the slap bet from How I Met Your Mother? That’s what we did, whichever team won, the fan got to slap the other in the face. The Leafs won and I got to slap him, go Leafs go!

What do you plan on doing with your degree? I want to become a criminal lawyer. Preferably prosecution, but the defense stuff also really interests me.

What do you miss most about home? I miss my family, and definitely their home-cooked meals.

Do you have any plans for the summer; since school is done is just over a month? I’m probably going sailing and to the cottage with my girlfriend, just have to figure it out. Also, I plan on going to Newfoundland to visit my family that lives there; it will be nice to see them.

Garrett’s girlfriend is certainly lucky, a sensitive musician and a lawyer-in-the-making? Quite the catch!

Make sure to check out our past Campus Cuties! 

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.