This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Reaching lows of -20 degrees and making it far enough into the semester to begin skipping classes, Blue Monday has rolled around yet again — and seems to live up to its title of the most depressing day of the year. On the third Monday of January, we are left in the dust of holiday spirit and confronting utility bills and credit card statements. But what if you used food to fight your Blue Monday? 

Between vitamin D, fiber, probiotics, caffeine, and protein, there are plenty of foods to boost your mood via sugar levels, dopamine, and serotonin. Here are some snacks you can munch on to stop Blue Monday from getting the best of you. 

Coffee 

Let’s start with the morning. A (small dose of) caffeine can be the answer to your anti-morning attitude. Whether it is Tim Hortons, Starbucks, or your Keurig at home, a cup of coffee can help boost your mood. According to Rittaway Coffee, caffeine increases the amount of dopamine in our body, which is a neurotransmitter that makes us feel pleasure. If you have trouble getting up for your 8:30 class, consider grabbing a cup of coffee to allow the dopamine to hit before your lecture gets the best of you. 

Salmon 

The same way seasonal affective disorder (SAD) may touch us or our peers in months with less sunlight, having less vitamin D can deplete our bodies of energy and alter our moods. We can get vitamin D from sunlight, but also a number of foods. According to Psychology Today, vitamin D activates genes releasing neurotransmitters for dopamine and serotonin making us feel good. 

Salmon is a great source of vitamin D. To keep it cheap and delicious, I recommend canned salmon, whole wheat tortillas, and a cheese of your choice. Personally, I use mozzarella, which is a good source of vitamin D. 

Cut the tortilla into strips. Spread the salmon across the tortilla. Shred your cheese, sprinkle it atop the salmon, and roll the tortilla piece into mini wraps. You can keep it a cold snack by pinning it together with a toothpick (also making it great to dip in a sauce of your choice). Or, you can grill it so the cheese melts into the salmon.

I also use salmon as a base for salad. Adding tomatoes, spinach, and mild marble cheese cubes. Tomatoes keep the salad from being too dry. Spinach is yet another great source of vitamin D. 

Mushrooms 

For vegetarian or vegan options, a spinach-based salad with tomatoes and mushrooms does wonders when you’re generous with the fungi. Mushrooms are a good source of vitamin D if they have been exposed to UV light, the same way we get our vitamin D in the summer. Organic mushroom and wild mushrooms, yes. Commercially grown mushrooms, no. Check your labels to ensure you’re getting the most of your shrooms. 

Beans

To get your protein and fiber, consider taking a look at beans. While they are typically served as hot chilli or with rice, I like making a bean salad. Red kidney beans, black beans, and chickpeas all supplying protein and fiber. According to Everyday Health, fiber and protein stabilize sugar levels and keep you from crashing early in the day.  

Bean salads are a quick and delicious way to boost your energy level. Mine include chickpeas, kidney beans, and black beans tossed with tomatoes. If you have a sweet tooth, throwing in goat cheese is a great way to add flavour. If you lean more towards the salty side, feta cheese cubes work just as well. Finally, to keep it healthy, squeeze ⅓ cup of lemon juice into ½ a cup of olive oil and add 1 teaspoon of salt to make a dressing to top the salad off.

Your typical comfort food is a great temptation, but they can leave you feeling sluggish, bloated, and maybe even guilty (20 chicken nuggets sound good in theory, but can come back to haunt you). Opting for these healthier, replenishing food choices can make a huge difference.

With some of this in mind, I hope your Blue Monday is a little bit brighter!

Journalism & Poli Sci '20. I love books, goats, breakfast foods, and spend too much time refreshing my blog: https://sherlynassam.wixsite.com/sail