Life > Experiences

Food Review: The Best Restaurants I Found While Travelling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

This summer was definitely the summer of travel for many. My family and I took a trip in July, during which we had made three major stops: Halifax, London, and Paris. In addition to the many amazing sights, there were also lots of exciting food opportunities.

HALIFAX

Before flying overseas, we had a few days to spare in Halifax. I was pretty excited as I’d never been to the east coast of Canada before!​ We tried many restaurants in the downtown area but none of them compared to Antojo Tacos and Tequila. The restaurant was decorated to portray an authentic Mexican theme, which made the experience fun and enjoyable. Not only was the experience great, but the service was perfect and the food was delicious. I ordered the beef enchilada, which was cheesy, tangy, and enjoyable. Our server also convinced me to try the peach margarita. Although I’m usually not a huge margarita fan, it was difficult to hold back from ordering another one. I will now and forever recommend this place to any friends heading over to Halifax. 

LONDON

London was the bulk of our trip, meaning we had the chance to try a variety of places. Some great and some not-so-great (I won’t mention the worst one). The first London restaurant I want to focus on is none other than Gordon Ramsay’s Bar and Grill. My family and I visited the Chelsea location for a late lunch, and it was extremely delightful. Of course, the food was amazing – I wouldn’t expect anything less. To start, we each got a burrata salad and, as a cheese lover, this was to die for. During the main portion of the meal, I got a burger, which was tender and filled with flavour. My other family members each got a steak or pasta dish. Finally, being in England, I had to try the sticky toffee pudding. Definitely worth the hype, although I stole a bite of my sister’s brownie and it was genuinely the best brownie I have ever tried in my 21 years of life. 

The second spot that stood out was a pub called Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. This pub has been there since 1538 and was rebuilt in 1667 after the Great Fire of 1666. There were tons of cool historical items and pictures placed around the pub. They served traditional English pub food, so I ordered a potato, cheese and onion pie with a side of chips. Comfort food galore! Overall, the pub was historically interesting with great food, and the only downside was the service. If Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese stepped up when it came to prioritizing customer experiences, it could be a top tourist spot for sure.

PARIS

Our stay in Paris was short but sweet, so we only visited a handful of restaurants. The first lunch we had in the city was by far the best. Unfortunately, I have no recollection of the name, but it was an adorable café-style restaurant we stumbled upon, right by the Arc de Triomphe. There were flowers on each table and the menu had many options. Since it was my first meal in Paris, it only felt right to order a crepe. This was a savoury crepe filled with ham, egg, and tons of cheese, meaning a cheese pull in every bite. I also had a latte, which was served in a beautiful, clear mug, with a side of white and brown sugar. Service at this café was great, and it was a positive welcome into the beautiful city of Paris.

It was so interesting to see how different the restaurant industry is in places so far from us. Every city had something unique, making each food experience an adventure.

Emma is a fourth year communication and media studies student at Carleton University. She is often found talking about pop-culture, or trying the newest Starbucks drink. She also loves musical theatre, collecting vinyl records and is a huge Ariana Grande fan. Social media director for the 2022/23 Her Campus Carleton team!