Fenty by Rihanna: An Awarding Winning Fashion House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Rihanna’s fashion house, Fenty Beauty, was presented with the Urban Luxe award at the 2019 Fashion Awards by none other than Janet Jackson on Dec. 2, 2019.  The Urban Luxe award is a recent achievement created to acknowledge “contemporary labels that elevate the concept of casual”, according to the British Fashion Council. Past recipients of this award include designers such as Off White’s Virgil Abloh. Considering Fenty’s clothing line is only a few months old, taking the luxury fashion world by storm and receiving recognition in such a short period of time is ground-breaking. 

As if Rihanna isn’t already cool enough, she launched her cosmetic brand Fenty in 2017 while maintaining her singing career. Focusing on the limited shade options for people outside of Caucasian skin tones, she developed her inclusive makeup brand. Releasing nothing short of 40 foundations shades on its debut, the number has since grown to almost fifty. According to Forbes Magazine, Fenty Beauty alone is worth an estimated $600 million dollars – making her the richest female musician in the world. Incredible right?

Photo from Sephora.

Her brand then progressed to lingerie, and finally, luxury clothing and accessories. This also makes her the first African American woman to own a major luxury fashion house.

Fenty partnered with LVMH (whose subsidiaries include; Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior, Fendi etc.) in 2019, to take on the world of high fashion. Fenty fashion was founded in the summer of 2019 and featured the same ethnic diversity as Fenty Beauty. Fenty fashion’s first official campaign video showcases models from numerous ethnic backgrounds and cultural landscapes. Rihanna’s inclusivity is further emphasized through her Luxury Fashion brand, as Fenty fashion also caters to a wide variety of sizes. Fenty offers many designs that work with all body types and sizes, ranging from XS through XXL. Robyn Rihanna Fenty, both CEO and Artistic Director, shaped her luxury fashion house to consider multiculturalism, womanhood, and personal experience, to produce designs supporting a contemporary and elevated look with a nod to street style. 

Personally, one of my favorite pieces is the ‘open back satin tailored jacket’ in jet black. It takes the concept of a traditional black blazer and puts a modern spin on it. It is oversized and the satin material of the article hangs beautifully – such a chic piece. 

Photo from Fenty.

Huge props to Rihanna and all her accomplishments as a designer, entrepreneur, and businesswoman. I know I am definitely excited to see what the future holds for Fenty Fashion. 

Nina Chin

Carleton '20

Nina is a third-year Communications and Media studies student at Carleton University. She loves snowboarding, traveling and is very passionate about almost all things art related. She spends most of her time sipping lattes and hanging out with friends.