girl holding coffee out with coffee shop seating in the background
Lilli Drewes

6 Ottawa Coffee Shops You Need To Try RN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Need to get through a long day of school or work? Don’t worry — there are plenty of places in Ottawa to get your daily caffeine fix!

The Ministry of Coffee

The Ministry of Coffee currently has four locations in Ottawa. They are independently owned and opened up their first shop in 2013. 

They have a relaxing and friendly atmosphere with great music, perfect for sitting down and grabbing an iced or hot coffee with a friend or taking some time for yourself to unwind. With plenty of choices for coffee, you’re sure to find something you love, from whipped lattes to drip coffees, or grab a tasty treat! 

Locations: 1013 Wellington St. W, Ottawa, ON | 274 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON | 200 Tremblay Rd, Ottawa, ON | 18 Beechwood Ave., Vanier, ON.

Drip House

Drip House has dreamy decor with heavenly food; it’s the perfect place for lunch with friends or some afternoon studying. Driphouse has two locations in Ottawa, one of them just recently opened!

I checked out the Somerset location and they have lots of seating inside and a patio dining area. They’re open 8 am – 5 pm daily and the Somerset location turns into a cute cocktail lounge Wednesday to Sunday.  

You can grab a great sandwich, their most popular being the Bernie, or grab a salad, falafels and even some avocado toast — and you can’t forget about the drinks! Their drink menu has many options, from a classic latte or mocha to a golden latte or a London fog. 

Locations: 340B Parkdale Ave, Ottawa, ON | 692 Somerset St W, Ottawa, ON.

Black Squirrel Books & Espresso Bar

Black Squirrel Books & Espresso Bar is a cute bookstore selling used and new books with an espresso bar! If you love books, then this is the place to be! They have books packed into the shelves upstairs and even more books downstairs. They get their coffee from local roasters, plus they have some snacks that you can eat while reading. 

The environment is cozy and has a great vibe; you can sit and read a book or get some work done. They also have free WiFi, which is a bonus. 

You will want to get to Black Squirrel Books early to secure your spot because it quickly becomes busy with people looking to read or work and there is limited seating. 

Locations: 1073 Bank St, Ottawa, ON.

Equator Coffee

Equator Coffee currently has two locations in Ottawa! They serve freshly roasted organic coffee as well as food, and it’s perfect for a midday pick-me-up!

I visited the Churchill location in the National Arts Centre, and it was the ideal place to get some work done and enjoy the view; they have WiFi and outlets to plug in your laptop! The atmosphere was great and it’s a close walk to Parliament Hill and ByWard Market!

The drinks were great and so was the food; they also have gluten-free and vegan options! The staff is friendly and willing to answer any questions that you may have. I would recommend checking Equator Coffee out if you were looking for a place to study, meet up with a friend, or even if you are just in the area!

Locations: 1 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON | 412 Churchill Ave N, Ottawa, ON.

Little Victories

Little Victories is a modern-style coffee shop with two locations in Ottawa. Their location on Bank Street has a hidden outdoor location in an alley where you order your coffee from! They also have an indoor area and will soon be moving in there as the weather gets colder.

I ordered their latte and can honestly say it was one of the best lattes I have ever had. They also have some great sweets that you can try out with your coffee. The staff is super friendly, and the service is excellent!

Locations: 801 Bank St, Ottawa, ON | 44 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON.

Bridgehead Coffee

Bridgehead Coffee is a fair-trade coffeehouse chain here in Ottawa and they currently have locations all across Ottawa. As a bonus, there’s one here on campus at Carleton in the Nicol Building! It is a great spot to get your dose of caffeine before a long day of studying or classes or grab a quick bite to eat.

They offer breakfast and lunch wraps, along with overnight oats and freshly baked goods! With plenty of options, there is something for everyone! They have great vibes and a friendly team of staff to help out with anything you may need! 

Locations: 1125 Colonel By Drive; Ottawa, ON | 1172 Bank St, Ottawa, ON | 366 Bank St, Ottawa, ON | 130 Anderson St, Ottawa, ON.

As you can see, there are many wonderful coffee shops for you to try out all over Ottawa! I hope some of these can become either your new favourite study spot or go-to coffee place.

Journalism student at Carleton University. Passionate about travel, health, and beauty. Loves Musical theatre and writing. Has an unhealthy obsession with coffee.