This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

I’ve heard a lot of Valentine’s Day slander, from singles and couples alike. Who would like a holiday that reminds you that you’re single or puts pressure on finding a perfect romantic gift for your SO? These (valid) complaints aside, I want to defend Valentine’s Day. If you know how to do it right, February 14th is the perfect pick-me-up in the dead of winter and a fantastic excuse to indulge and spend time with loved ones. 

Valentine’s Day isn’t just for couples –– it’s also a great way to get together with friends and family. Sure, Galentine’s Day might sound a little silly, but don’t knock it ’til you try it. For years, my friend and I have spent Valentine’s Day together, regardless of our relationship statuses. We treat each other to little gifts and tons of snacks and watch awful romantic comedies. It’s one of my favourite traditions!

Whatever your ideal Valentine’s Day is, round up your loved ones and find a way to celebrate. Whether that means a wine night with your best friend or a potluck with your family, remember that all of the love in your life is a fantastic reason to celebrate Valentine’s.

If Valentine’s Day tends to get you down, why not embrace being single and have a day of indulgence? There are so many upsides to not being in a relationship, including doing exactly what you want to do on the holidays! Treat yourself to a fancy coffee, a long bath or binge a few episodes of your favourite TV show. If you’re not an indulgent person, it’s extra special to splurge on yourself for Valentine’s. 

If you’re in a relationship and Valentine’s Day leaves you feeling stressed instead of lovestruck, redefine what the holiday means to you. It doesn’t have to mean pounds of chocolate and red roses -– if a low-key night at home is more your speed, embrace it! There are no rules to follow for a perfect Valentine’s Day. Tailoring the holidays to your relationship is a more thoughtful and enjoyable way to celebrate.

My top tip: Don’t focus on what Valentine’s Day looks like on Instagram. It’s never healthy to compare yourself online, and I find Valentine’s Day posts are a top offender. You have nothing to prove about your relationship to others, and there’s no reason to compare your SO to someone else’s. 

This may not convert all Valentine’s cynics, but I hope it’s a boost of inspiration to help you enjoy the holiday this year. Valentine’s Day is what you make of it — single or not, go grab some cinnamon hearts and embrace a day of love! 

Cassandra is a fourth year Communications and Media Studies student at Carleton University. She's a fan of rollerskating, personality tests (she's an ENFJ!), and visiting new coffee shops around Ottawa!