Dear Cat: I Hate My Prof!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Dear Cat, 

I am a first-year student at Carleton University and it’s only half way through the year but I’ve hated my professor for an Environmental Studies class since the beginning. I don’t know what to do, he is so boring, the class is boring, and the students are boring. I barely even go anymore because I’d rather hang out with my friends in residence. I know my mark is really low and I’m scared to fail. So what do I do?? 
– Rachel, 18, first-year Communications student

Dear Rachel,

You’d be surprised to know how many students can’t stand a class they are taking because of their professor; you’re definitely not the only one! There is no point in letting one professor dampen your day, first year IS the most fun time of your university career!

Breathe! No freaking out just yet. There is time to raise marks and make the best of the situation. It begins with you approaching a TA and letting them know your feelings and stance on the class. They are very willing to help you and are way less intimidating than your professor! If there is no TA, then you need to speak with your professor. Approaching them for help and respectfully being honest about your thoughts on the class will open up communication between student and teacher, thus making it a better experience. Don’t be scared! The professor knows first-year students are new to this crazy college thing and they will give you plenty of advice on how to complete future assignments successfully and bump up your mark. Make sure you take advantage of their office hours if you need class material clarified. Once you see how willing professors are to accommodate you and help you with future assignments, things will definitely get better!

Understand which classes are mandatory for your program. This can be figured out with an academic advisor at the Student Academic Success Centre. Reading your audit is crucial so that you don’t fall behind and have to spend your summer on campus, wishing you were at Mooney’s Bay with all your friends (I promise I am not bitter!).

Next, I strongly recommend that you research about the course and professor in advance. Use Carleton’s website, Google and professor rating websites like ratemyprof.com to get some background information on your professor. Also, asking fellow classmates what they are taking and how they like it is a great way to see what course is going to be better for you in the future.

If you believe a class is the right fit for you, test out the first AND second week (because we all know not much happens the first class anyway except for reviewing your syllabus). At this point, you should follow your gut. If it doesn’t feel right, you now have two options. If it’s that bad, take another class or stick around for another week and try to talk to the professor and some of the students in the class. Try out the second option because most professors want to get to know you and receive some feedback and all students are in the same boat as you.

This is your education, take it into your own hands girl!

HCXO,
Cat (Your Cheeky Collegiette Guru)

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.