Commit to Fit: Workout Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Push your old workout songs to the side for a second — I know you’ve probably had the same songs on repeat for ages now, so please, give me the pleasure of spicing up your workout playlist to put you in a motivated state of mind. The following songs may just provide you with the energy to keep you pressing through your workouts even when they get tough.

The Day Doesn’t Die: Classified

Genre: Hip Hop
Intensity: Low
Equally as motivational, but perhaps with a lighter tone, this breezy hip hop tune provides some calm after more intense moments in your workout.

Under Ground Kings: Drake

Genre: Rap/Hip Hop
Intensity: Low Moderate
We’re elevating the intensity metre as we move on to this track and hopefully your heart beat as well!

Thrash Unreal: Against Me

Genre: Hard Rock
Intensity: Moderate
Invigorating, and devilishly gritty, Thrash Unreal will get the blood pumping and accompany any cardio workout perfectly.

You Shook Me All Night Long: AC/DC

Genre: Classic Rock
Intensity: Moderate
There can’t be anything better to get you into the mood to work out and at the same time possibly add some sex appeal to your whole routine. Play this track if you’re feeling particularly down and need an ego-booster.

Work Hard Play Hard: Wiz Khalifa

Genre: Hip Hop
Intensity: Moderate-High
There are always going to be those days when you’re going to resent the very sight of the gym, but pick yourself up off the ground and hit the treadmills with this single.

Written In the Stars: Tinie Tempah Ft. Eric Turner

Genre: Hip Hop
Intensity: High
This is the most high energy song on my list, ideal for starting a brisk jog or some intense pedaling on the bikes. Tempah’s messages will creep into your mind and keep you going.

Cheers (Drink To That): Rihanna

Genre: Pop
Intensity: Moderate
This is my favourite track on my iPod, especially on a Friday afternoon when I’m praying for the weekend when it looks like it will never come.

Skyfall: Adele

Genre: Soundtrack/Inspirational
Intensity: Low Moderate
You may not be the next leading lady to appear next to James Bond movie, but Adele’s super vocals will make you feel like you are. It’s perfect for a debut in your workout play list.

Unthinkable: Alicia Keys Ft. Drake

Genre: Soul/R&B
Intensity: Low
Duets are some of the most beautiful and endearing singles that ever get released – especially if you’re working out with your significant other. Both artists’ vocals enforce that feeling of bonding you get when you exercise in pairs.

You’re Never Over: Eminem

Genre: Rap
Intensity: Low
I have fond memories of cooling down from a long run with this Eminem track. My heartbeat slowly descended and I felt as though I was finally breathing normally and dropped my run into a nice, slow walk.

A couple of fellow Carleton students also wanted to give you their favourite songs to workout to:

John Hanson (Mechanical Engineering 2015) recommends listening to “Headstrong” by Trapt.

Jessica Burns (Psychology 2016),  prefers to get in the workout mood with “Gangnam Style” by PSY.

Sources:

http://www.batcrapcrazyblog.co…

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.