Commit to Fit: The Superfoods You Need to Eat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Want to know some sweet secrets from the kitchen that will blow your stomach fat away? Secrets so well-kept that magazines such as People are plagued with advertisements for expensive fad diet pills instead of the real and cheap fat-fighting nutrients stored right in our cupboards?

Well, today’s your lucky day– I just so happen to know some simple foods to help with your metabolism, weight, getting glowing skin and good overall health without the need of any diet pill (but thanks for trying Kim Kardashian).  Let me give you a real taste of a healthy lifestyle with these five different superfoods to kick it off.

1. Wheat Germ: the natural weight loss food

Wheat germ is a portion of the wheat kernel that is removed and processed into fine flour. It is a powerhouse of nutrients! Not only do you get a phenomenal boost of fiber, it is a superior antioxidant and lowers the risk of heart disease.  It is also very high in Vitamin E which makes your skin glow, especially during the winter when the sun hardly comes out.

Perfect to add in a parfait of yogurt, or added to pancakes, waffles, cookies or cereals—just about anything with moisture so it can be soaked up and enjoyed while your body thanks you for the supply of vitamins and minerals! I personally eat this every day in my yogurt and oatmeal in the morning. I don’t recommend eating it raw—unless you’re into the taste of hardwood floor. Keep it stored in the fridge!

2. Ground Flaxseed: for overall good health

Despite its longevity on earth, people didn’t discover the benefits of flaxseed until recently.  Filled with heart-healthy omega 3 fats (good fats, ladies) and fiber, these tiny seeds are packed with nutritional components of an everyday healthy lifestyle.

You may find them at the store in the form of seeds—but they are most beneficial when they are crushed. You can add it to cereals, breads, muffins, pancakes, smoothies, applesauce and salads. I personally use it along with wheat germ in my Greek yogurt in the morning (which is also sweetened with honey—yum!).

Check out some delicious flaxseed incorporated recipes here!

3. Avocado: the most nutritious of all fruit

Forget the fat— this fruit is rich in omega 3 and 6 fats, it lowers cholesterol (take that, salt!) and keeps your eyes healthy with its carotenoid lutein. It’s packed with vitamin E, which is an essential vitamin that helps skin glow. And for the ladies who are more conscious about their diet? The avocado’s monounsaturated fat speeds up the basal metabolic rate, and helps you feel full and satisfied so you eat less.    

Enjoy it in salads, sandwiches, soup, raw or even make it into guacamole! Did I also mention that it’s not only good for eating, but also benefits your skin and hair? It can be used to hydrate your damaged hair and actually stimulates hair growth!

4. Quinoa [keen-wah]: the superfood

When my sister bought a bag of Quinoa from the Natural Food Pantry, I thought it was a type of rice or grain. Wrong! This is a type of fruit from a broadleaf plant that is beyond healthy and yet mostly unknown among mainstream society. It is versatile because it contains a perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids, is gluten-free and is a wonderful source of protein (a good alternative to meat). You can incorporate Quinoa into tons of dishes, such as in salads, stews, soups and even in chocolate cake.

Check out recipes here: http://allrecipes.com/recipes/healthy-recipes/super-foods/wholegrains/qu…

5. Safflower Oil: flattens your stomach!

Dr. Oz recently exposed the positive correlation between safflower oil and weight loss, specifically with the stubborn parts of your belly. Since it is a relatively new phenomenon, not much research has been done—but when I hear it from a nutritional specialist who’s given me plenty of health advice in the past, it’s hard to deny the benefits of this oil. According to Oz, it helps flatten the stomach due to its omega 6 fat called linoleic acid which speeds up the metabolism and targets the fats in the belly. This oil is getting so much media attention that even diet pill companies are incorporating this oil into their products! Naturally, you can use it in salads, on breads or as an alternative to another type of oil for food (except cooking).

On that note, I would like to give a quick shout out to kale, the healthiest veggie you can eat, and an honorable mention to the chickpea family. Feel free to expose the magic powers of these superfoods—the more people eating healthier, the better! 

xoxo,
LIZRD

Check out our past Commit to Fit blogs! 

Photo Credits:
http://nutritioncheckup.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/wheat-germ.jpg
http://www.andiethefitgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/flaxseed.jpg
http://www.sensitivehair.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/avocado-hair-tre…
http://www.myinterestingfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/quinoa-fact…
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_d0CaE5oEzBo/Sj1JKqjbfPI/AAAAAAAACMY/7KdxGU753l…

Elizabeth is a fourth year Communications major at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. In addition to her editor and writer positions at Her Campus Carleton, she enjoys volunteering at Rogers Television studio as a Producer’s Assistant and Floor Director for Daytime Ottawa. she enjoys her weekly soccer games and gym time which keeps her fit as a fiddle and out of trouble. Elizabeth is fond of silver linings and a true believer in the Law of Attraction, and is a lucid dreamer with the hope to enlighten your minds with her writing.
Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.