A Carleton Girl’s Guide to Campus Bake Sales

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

picture source: http://worldchallengeus.files.wordpress.com

I love taking a walk through the Atrium. It’s a big, bright space where there is never a dull moment, whether it be club recruitments, dance practices or career fairs. And one thing you can always count on is a table teeming with treats. With a ridiculous number of bake sales being held each day, from almost every society on campus, making a decision as to which mouthwatering delight you want to polish off in between classes can be nearly impossible.

Due to my tendency for being indecisive, I’ve come up with a few tips for those like me who also have a tough time navigating though the tables of homemade confections.

1. Always carry spare change

There is nothing worse than an empty wallet when confronted with the smell of freshly-baked goodies wafting throughout Unicentre… while on your way to your least favourite three-hour lecture. Make sure that you always have some quarters and loonies on hand so you can pick up that peanut butter cookie you’ve been craving for the past week.

2. Spot the deals

Rent, phone bills, textbooks, keggers, the list of expenses for university student goes on for miles. Daily sugar splurges draining your already empty wallet? No problem. Spot the pay-what-you-can table to save some cash. Usually a small amount can get you any treat on the table as all they ask for is a donation you can afford.

3. Indulge your inner philanthropist 

Sometimes there are so many tables in the Atrium that it can be difficult to select who is worthy of your transaction. Most organizations hold bake sales to raise money for charities or other non-profit groups. Take the guess work out by purchasing goods from a bake sale that supports a cause that you would like to make a contribution toward. 

4. Seize an opportunity 

Another easy way to make a choice is to buy from the girls whose sorority you’re rushing, or the campus cutie you’ve been eyeing since last semester. Enjoy some small talk over a cupcake and you are sure to make a lasting impression.

5. Don’t just stand, lend a helping hand

If you are constantly hanging out in the Atrium looking for a bake sale, perhaps you can host your own. Grab some friends and bake up a storm, or, if you’re not one with the spatula, ask a club or society on how you can volunteer your time. The more, the merrier and it is also a great opportunity to network with like-minded individuals.

6. Sorry, what’s Polyglycerol polyricinoleate?

For those with allergies or other dietary restrictions, an ingredient list is a must. If one isn’t available, which is the case for most campus bake sales, ask the creator what the ingredients are. Vegetarians, such as myself, may want to ask if animal fats were used, some may need gluten-free options and many will have a severe reaction if they come into contact with nuts. If the baker or seller is not certain about every ingredient, it’s best that you steer clear. Always be aware of what you put in your body! Being healthy is the most important thing.

How do you fellow Ravens navigate through the daily swarm of goodie vendors? Have any favourite treats? Add comments below, tweet us, or leave posts on our Facebook wall!

And don’t forget to check out the CUSS Valentine’s Day bake sale February 13 in the Atrium!

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.