Book Recommendations based on your Favourite Taylor Swift Song

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

For the past decade, Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry with her catchy melodies and thoughtful lyrics. If you’re anything like me, you were left wanting more after listening to her latest album, Midnights. While us Swifites wait for another Taylor’s Version, why not explore your favourite Taylor Swift song in book form?

Here are seven book recommendations to kickstart your 2023 reading goals and revisit your favourite songs!

“22”: Everything I Know About Love, By Dolly Alderton

“Were happy, free, confused, and lonely at the same time” – “22,” Taylor Swift

Largely regarded as one of Swift’s girl-power anthems, “22” celebrates the uncertainty, fun, and independence of your twenties. The song acknowledges the growing pains of the decade while encouraging listeners to savour every moment and “keep dancing like we’re 22.” In Everything I Know about Love, British journalist Dolly Alderton recounts the highs and lows of her twenties. From parties to breakups to roommates, Alderton approaches every topic with honesty and humour. She encourages readers to appreciate the platonic love of female friendships. 

”Blank Space”: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, By Taylor Jenkins Reid

“Got a long list of ex-lovers /

They’ll tell you I’m insane (insane) /

But I’ve got a blank space, baby /

And I’ll write your name” – “Blank Space,” Taylor Swift 

In “Blank Space,” Swift plays into the media’s portrayal of her love life. Often labelled as a serial dater, Swift constructs just that type of character in “Blank Space” to demonstrate how ridiculous the assumptions about her dating life are. The label of serial dater also impacts Evelyn Hugo in The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. Known for her beauty, acting, and infamous seven husbands, Evelyn Hugo is the world’s most sought-after interview subject. As she nears the end of her life, she handpicks journalist Monique to tell her story. Throughout the novel, Monique gains insight into Evelyn’s life and discovers truths about her own. 

“London Boy”: Red, White, and Royal blue, By Casey McQuiston

“They say home is where the heart is /

But that’s not where mine lives” – “London Boy,” Taylor Swift

“London Boy” celebrates Swift’s newfound love for both the historic landmarks of London and her romantic interest in the city. In Red, White, and Royal Blue, Prince Henry of Britain and American first son Alex spark a fake friendship for the press. As the pair get to know each other, the friendship develops into something more. The book explores the complications of devoting allegiance to your own country while having your heart in another. 

“Cardigan”: Normal People, By Sally Rooney

“And when I felt like I was an old cardigan /

Under someone’s bed /

You put me on and said I was your favorite” – “Cardigan,” Taylor Swift

As one-third of the Folklore love triangle, “Cardigan,” recounts the bittersweet memories of young love. Through her thoughtful lyrics, Swift explores the duality of innocence and familiarity. The innocence of new experiences, but also the familiarity of feeling as though you’ve known that person your whole life. This duality causes Swift to seek out that phenomenon when she feels like “an old cardigan under someone’s bed.” In Normal People, Marianne and Connell experience the duality of first love through a secretive high school relationship. As the pair experience the growing pains of adulthood, they find themselves consistently trying to reconcile that feeling, even in attempts to stay away from each other. 

“No Body, No Crime”: Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn

“No, no body, no crime /

I wasn’t letting up until the day he died.” – “No Body, No Crime,” Taylor Swift

In “No Body, No Crime” Swift shows off her imaginative storytelling skills. The song centers around a missing persons case where the husband is the main suspect. In Gone Girl, Amy Dunne mysteriously disappears. As the case unravels, readers get an inside look into her marriage with the prime suspect of the case, Nick Dunne. 

“Gold Rush”: The Selection Series, by Kiera Cass

“I don’t like that falling feels like flying ’til the bone crush /

Everybody wants you /

But I don’t like a gold rush”- “Gold Rush,” Taylor Swift

In “Gold Rush,” Swift describes the jealousy that arises while falling for someone everyone admires. The song accurately depicts the anxiety and fear many people experience while falling in love. In The Selection Series, the dystopian society of Illea holds a bachelor-inspired competition to search for a wife for the greatly admired Prince Maxon. Originally in the competition for practical purposes, the main character America Singer detests the prince. As the story progresses, she finds herself slowly falling in love. Throughout the three-book series, America navigates the jealousy and fear of falling that plagues Swift in “Gold Rush.”

“Mastermind”: The Great gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald

“What if I told you none of it was accidental /

And the first night that you saw me, nothing was gonna stop me? /

I laid the groundwork and then, just like clockwork /

The dominoes cascaded in a line.” – “Mastermind,” Taylor Swift 

Known for the intricate easter eggs scattered throughout her work, Swift acknowledges her cryptic tendencies in “Mastermind.” The song follows Swift’s strategic moves to gain the attention of a romantic interest. She is so much of a mastermind that the carefully planned details come across as purely accidental. As one of the most popular classics of the 19th century, The Great Gatsby follows Nick Carraway’s interactions with his rich and bizarre neighbor, Jay Gatsby. Throughout the book, Nick discovers Gatsby’s elaborate schemes to gain the attention of his former lover, Daisy Buchanan. 

These recommendations are just a few of the awesome books that connect to Taylor Swift’s imaginative songwriting. Hopefully, your favourite song leads you to your next favourite book. Happy reading!

Bailey Austin

Carleton '25

Bailey is a second year double majoring in English and Sociology. In her spare time, Bailey can be found reading, working out, playing the piano, or listening to Taylor Swift.