This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Books, books, books! If you’re anything like me you love books, and are always trying to find the best deals on them too. It can be hard not to buy new books from retail stores, but local bookstores have a lot to offer, have great prices, and give you the chance to buy previously-loved books. Not only will you have a warm feeling after visiting one of these great bookstores, but buying these gently used books will also help your footprint and support small businesses in Ottawa! Happy book shopping!

Barely Bruised Book Club

This shop is great because of its huge selection. Many new and old books are available for purchase, and you can even find some great signed books as well. It also has the largest Indigenous selection of books in Ontario. Not only does the owner offer 20% off the price when shipped, but he also has plenty of children and adult books for $1 or by donation for those who can’t afford fully-priced books! Added bonus: it’s located right beside a Happy Goat cafe. 

Black Squirrel Books & Espresso Bar

This is another great place to get some gently used books. They offer some great deals on books and also offer $10 surprise book boxes! A great addition is that they sell beer, wine, coffee, and their own specialty lattes! Pre-Covid they would also have local artists perform live — so stay tuned to when they are able to have bands and open seating available again!

Patrick McGahern Books

This is a little bit of an unconventional one, but if you’re looking for speciality and rare books — this is the place to go! They have Canadiana, Americana, Arctic, Antarctic, Travel, Natural History & Voyages, Irish and Scottish History and Literature. So if you’re a history buff, you need to check it out!

Book Bazaar

This is a great one for music lovers! This little book shop has thousands of an eclectic mix of books, with an extensive selection of sheet music and books on music! The family-owned business is a sweet one and is so welcoming when you pop in. Also free parking — in downtown Ottawa — what could be better!

All Books

This book shop sells both new and used books, a great place for students! They usually offer textbooks and primary sources you may need for class at a great price. If you have some old books you think are worth something, they’ll also buy books from you. A great place to stop and spend hours in!

These are the best used-bookstores in Ottawa and I highly recommend visiting each of them to find new adventures and stories! Each has a special touch to it and the owners truly do love their customers. Please try and shop local and visit, even if you just want to have a look around – you won’t regret it!

Rachel Fiset

Carleton '23

Rachel is a Journalism and Political Science combined honours student. She loves to write, read, and learn any way she can! Rachel enjoys keeping busy, and along with HerCampus is involved with The Charlatan, CKCU 93.1 FM, Book Ravens, and the Campus Activity Board.