The Best Late Night Food in Ottawa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

We’ve all been there: after a solid, memorable night out in town, or after an all-nighter before exams, we often search for the perfect late night snack to satisfy our appetites without thinking of the consequences of tomorrow. Here is my list of the TOP 5 best spots open late to get some grub. Next time you go out and stay out late, you won’t ever have to wander the streets of Ottawa like a hungry vagrant again!

1. Sacha’s Chip Wagon
York St, Byward Market
After the bar late

Keep your eyes open for this one as there is no sign, but the lineup will make the location quite obvious. Nestled between The Dom and Kinky Asian Fusion Restaurant in the market is one mighty poutine. Highly underrated, Sacha’s delivers crispy fries, melt in your mouth cheese curds and delicious gravy. To top it off, they have extra toppings, available so you can customize your poutine without the additional cost, unlike most other chip wagons. Sacha’s also sells hot dogs, sausages and other greasy fare if the Québec delicacy isn’t for you.

2. Kettlemans Bagel Company
912 Bank St, Glebe
24 hours

If you live in the Glebe you have certainly run into this gem at least once. If not, you are missing out! With their handcrafted, traditional Montreal-Style bagels, straight from a wood-burning over, Kettleman’s brings a rustic feel to their simple fare. The best part is that they are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Enjoy a variety of different types of bagels or pick a fresh sandwich complemented with fresh toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions, olives, mushrooms, and more– you get the deal. If you like smoke salmon, I would definitely recommend the Kettleman’s Special.

3. New Pho Bo Ga LA
763 Somerset St W, Chinatown
Mon-Thur & Sun: 10AM- 1AM
Fri – Sat: 10AM – 4AM

What is late-night dining sans Pho and spring-rolls? If you aren’t from Ottawa, you may not think there are many distinguishing factors between the many Pho spots within Chinatown. And although most have the same name, this one tends to be a favourite. To find it, look for the big blue sign with a Buddha at the front door. There’s also a kitschy, bubbly water wall that is impossible to miss! This spot has the quickest turnaround time and I usually get my food only minutes after ordering. I highly recommend the Spicy Seafood Ph o or the Vermicelli with Spring Rolls. Bonus: The food is so good here you won’t even notice the lack of service.

4. Island Flava
401 Dalhousie Street, Lower Town
Mon- Thurs 11:30AM – 9PM
Fri 11:30AM – 3AM
Sat 11:30AM – 4AM
Sun 12PM – 6PM

For those who like a little Jamaican spice in their lives, this is located beside that other Poutine shoppe on Dalhousie Street. As soon as you walk in to the tiny restaurant, you are hit with some aromatic tropical scents, probably from their jerk chicken or curry vegetable roti (a must-try). If you’re in a hurry, pick up a delicious Jamaican patty on your way out. This place often gets overlooked by its unfriendly, grungy vibe but the food is definitely worth the stop.

5. El Camino
380 Elgin St. (at Gladstone)
Tues- Fri Window 12PM – 2:30 PM
Tues- Sun Dinner 5:30 – Late

Saving the best for last, El Camino is definitely my group’s favourite late-night dining spot. Located where the old Era nightclub used to be, this amazing Taco/Tequila/Winebar is so unique in everything they offer. Its modern industrial design is very trendy and offers the perfect spot to chat with friends over drinks. Their dishes are excellent for sharing, but so good you won’t want to! If you can’t bear the sometimes hour line-up for a seat in the open concept resto, get one of the tastiest tacos you will ever have, especially the crispy fish, right from the takeout window. Their drink list is also fantastic, and I highly recommend the El Fuego tequila cocktail, so bomb!

And because the food in this city is so great… an Honourable mention…

Two-six-ate
268 Preston Street, Little Italy
Wed- Mon 4pm-2am

I haven’t gotten the chance to try this place but I keep hearing amazing things. They offer a small plates menu which is perfect for sharing and they are open until 2am. Some of their treats include a house made charcuterie and a gourmet, deep-fried peanut-butter and jelly sandwich. BRB, drooling.

Other places you should probably check out if you haven’t already: The Manx, Union Local 613, Chez Lucien, The Daily Grind…

Leave a comment if you know of any other great late-night affordable spots!

————-
Pic Sources
http://www.labanquise.com/en/international-poutine.php
http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/phovietnam
http://pinkmafia.ca/blog/2013/07/08/blog-hunter-ottawa-where-to-eat-with-gillian-holloway/