Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash

A Beginner’s Guide to Thrifting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Do you want to start thrifting, but don’t know where to start? Does searching through racks and racks of clothes seem intimidating? This thrifting guide should get you started- just remember, thrifting is good for the planet and your wallet- just have fun with it!

Understand The Different Types Of Thrift Stores

Thrift stores come in various forms — some are easier to sift through, and their prices will reflect it. Plato’s Closet is a consignment store that only sells clothes for teens from the past few years. Their stores are full of name-brand pieces in good condition, so they’re an easier place to start shopping second-hand. Value Village has lower prices, but much more clothing to sift through, and the quality tends to vary. Mission Thrift and The Salvation Army may have less stock, but they’ll easily have the best prices. 

Check Out All Of The Sections

When I first started thrifting, I’d skip over half the sections thinking I wouldn’t find anything. Now, some of my favourite spots are the ones I used to pass on. The lingerie aisle is great for finding delicate lace tops, and on rare occasions, the men’s section will have a perfect pair of mom jeans. Pieces get stuck in the wrong place constantly — do yourself a favour and look through all the racks!

Donate

Not only does donating to your local thrift stores keep the thrift cycle going, but they usually offer great incentives for bringing in your old clothes. The Salvation Army and Value Village offer coupons that can be used on your next visit. Make room in your closet for your new finds and save a few dollars in the process!

Sign Up For Any Loyalty Programs

In Value Village’s Super Saver Club, there are member-only sale days and exclusive coupons. Plato’s Closet also offers email updates and deals. It’s an easy way to stay in the loop, so you can take advantage of upcoming discounts.

Prep Yourself For A Day Of Thrifting

Thrifting takes time, energy, and practice, so set yourself up for a successful day! Wear an outfit that you can easily throw things over, so you can save the hassle of going to the change room to try on things like cardigans or jackets. Free your afternoon and really look through the racks — if you go through with a careful eye, you’re bound to find something you like. Also, don’t forget to keep an open mind, thrifting is the perfect way to try out a new look!

While thrifting may seem fruitless if you have a few unlucky visits, it’s a great way to save money on good-quality clothes. There are so many unique gems hidden in your local thrift shops — before you know it, second-hand will be second nature!

Cassandra is a fourth year Communications and Media Studies student at Carleton University. She's a fan of rollerskating, personality tests (she's an ENFJ!), and visiting new coffee shops around Ottawa!