This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

As Valentine’s Day is coming up, I have been thinking of the people we celebrate during this time. I have friends who absolutely despise Valentine’s Day because of all the hype surrounding being in a relationship and the pressure to have a partner for this time of the year. However, I find that Valentine’s Day is just a time to celebrate love and the people we care about in our lives. Some of the most special people in my life are women. I care deeply about my female friendships and I am extremely grateful to have so many in my life.

The “girlhood” trend has been very popular on social media and rightly so. Women are celebrating the small moments that bring us together. Getting ready to go out together, calling your friend when you’re stressed, cooking together, singing songs at the top of your lungs, crying together. These are all experiences that encapsulate girlhood and radiate the importance of women bonding.

I could not be more grateful for the friendships I have in my life right now and they have truly helped me through some of the most difficult times in my life. The bond that I have with my best friend is something I will always take care of. Even though we live in different countries, we still keep each other updated and know that we are always going to be there for each other.

I know that it is sometimes easy to pit women against each other as it is something that we see in media quite often. However, I think there should be more emphasis put on the positive aspects of female relationships and how beneficial they are for our lives. In a society that hates on women so much, we need to stick together.

As I enter this time of the year, I want to appreciate all the women in my life and let them know how much I truly care about them. To my sisters, my mom, my friends, my aunts, my grandma. They have truly impacted my life and I would not be the person I am without them. I invite everyone reading this article to do the same and celebrate the special women in your life.

Andrea Leon

Carleton '26

Andrea is a Social Media Team Member at the Her Campus chapter of Carleton University in Ottawa. She manages and creates content for this chapter's social media, such as Instagram, TikTok, and Twitter. Beyond Her Campus, she is a second-year student in the Communication and Media Studies program. She is originally from Mexico and moved to Canada for school. Andrea is very passionate about women's issues and loves writing for Her Campus. She loves being involved with the media and entertainment world. In her free time, she can be found reading, crocheting, and listening to Taylor Swift. She also loves walking around the city and visiting cute coffee shops!