Life > Experiences

A Conversation with the Programming Coordinator of Carleton’s Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Carleton University’s Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre is located in Room 427 on the fourth floor of the University Centre building. The Centre is currently run by two staff: Gabbie Cruz, the Programming Coordinator, and Rory Hart, the Administrative Coordinator. I had the pleasure of speaking with Gabbie about the GSRC, and the programming and services students might expect to see in the winter semester!   

Gabbie Cruz is in their third year of Childhood and Youth Studies, with minors in Psychology and English. If you guessed that they enjoy long walks on the beach, dogs, D&D, and fun earrings, you would be eerily correct.

“I got a haircut specifically to show off my earrings more,” Gabbie shares (ingenious). In their position as Programming Coordinator at the GSRC, they take part in a large variety of tasks.

Primarily, their work consists of thinking of new event ideas, coordinating outreach on social media, and other miscellaneous tasks shared with the Administrative Coordinator, such as creating social media graphics. They enjoy bringing their enthusiasm and sex-positive perspective to the welcoming and friendly environment of the GSRC. Why is this position special?

“I just really like working closely with my community; I am queer and trans myself,” Gabbie explains.

They acknowledge that community-based work can be challenging and requires certain boundaries with one’s personal life; however, this does not by any stretch negate the rewards. “When you do community work, especially a community you’re a part of, it becomes very meaningful,” they smile. 

Now, what programming and resources are typically offered at the Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre? They can be summarized in two components: resources and support/community work. Internal resources at the Centre include educational pamphlets (on PrEP and PEP, HIV Prevention, etc.), events geared towards education (such as Queer 101 workshops), the Queer and Trans Library selection, and a clothing swap.

As for the second component, the GSRC not only focuses on facilitating connections within the queer community of Carleton, but also the broader queer community in Ottawa as the Centre is open for anyone to use. For one, the GSRC has a Peer Support Program where people can connect one-on-one with peer support volunteers. There are also the more casual and regular activities held in the Centre’s space as opportunities for social bonding, such as board game nights and movie nights.

One of Gabbie’s favourite initiatives from the fall semester was the queer- and trans-centric self-care packages they put together (with a lot of time and care!). The packages contained a zine with depression cooking recipes, a zine with queer writing prompts, or instructions for a DIY body scrub, GSRC logo stickers, affirmation cards, and more.

For a look at programming in the winter semester, Gabbie offers some potential plans without spoiling too many specific details. One important time for programming this semester will be Black History Month.

Gabbie places importance on using an intersectional lens when it comes to the queer community and racialized communities; they hope to connect with other service centres at Carleton and collaborate with them to enhance the intersectional approach of their work.

Gabbie also hopes to host some sort of arts showcase this semester to highlight the “talents and contributions that are within our community,” whether this might be an online showcase, a physical gallery, or even an open mic night. Additionally, Gabbie discusses some preliminary research to create a gender-affirming gear program (to provide binders, for instance), which may become actualized at some point this semester or in the future. 

Then, as always, there are still the smaller ongoing socials such as board game nights and colouring nights in the Centre’s space. “Grow With Us” is another fun program the GSRC has run in the past and may continue again this semester. With “Grow With Us,” the GSRC gives out plant-growing kits so that people can learn how to grow plants together — just all-around “sweet wholesomeness,” in Gabbie’s own words. 

With all there is to look forward to, make sure you go and check out some of the fun, educational, and/or helpful events and resources the GSRC Coordinators have set up for the winter semester! For timely updates about upcoming events and services, give @cusagsrc a follow on Instagram! Image descriptions are always provided for the graphics in their posts.

Aria Mann

Carleton '25

Aria Mann is a Carleton University student. At any given time you could probably catch her reading, playing the piano, or listening to new music. Or writing. Obviously.