90s TV Shows We Really Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

The world is too much to handle sometimes. Now and then, all we need is a good television show to help us get out of our minds and escape into someone else’s. All of us had those TV shows we eagerly awaited each week. All of us had those plots we invested so many laughs and tears into. We came to know the characters, loved them as friends and equally as family, and then mourned their absence when the television program came to an end. Here are some that we mourn regularly.

1. Boy Meets World

Those of us who stuck with Cory Matthews from the very beginning knows what it means to love a cast with all our heart. Though Cory is the protagonist, the other characters are never far behind. This includes heartthrob best friend Shawn Hunter; two loving parents; hilarious older brother Eric Matthews; Mr. Feeny, the often strict teacher whose role it seems to berate the kids at first only to become one of their most beloved and influential mentors; and Topanga Lawrence, the love of Cory’s life. The characters progress all the way from elementary school to college. This show had everything, from pure family friendly comedy, sad breakups and happier makeups, and eventually an ending that drove us all to tears. The show ran for seven seasons, and during the course of it we got to watch the characters grow up and learn who they were not only individually, but also in relation to the ones they loved most. Which is why the news of a sequel, Girl Meets World, following Cory and Topanga’s 13-year-old daughter, is perhaps the happiest news ever. 

2. Smart Guy

There were so many things right with this show. For one thing, it taught all the kids watching to be grateful for their youth. T.J. Henderson was a 10-year-old genius, skipping past fourth grade all the way to the tenth to place him in the same grade as his older brother, popular ladies man extraordinaire Marcus Henderson. There is also the wise father Lloyd Henderson and Marcus’s best friend, Mo Tibbs, who plays the somewhat dimwitted but incredibly lovable addition who never seems to leave. The character progression is amazing, specifically in regards to the brothers trying to reconcile being in the same grade and often dealing with tensions and troubles, but always being there for each other at the end of the day. It was never short on comedy or heartfelt sentiment, and though T.J. was sometimes irritating as one can only imagine of a 10-year-old genius, we know we all wanted to have his smarts. 

[pagebreak]

3. Recess

TJ, Vince, Spinelli, Mikey, Gretchen and Gus were the friends we all so desperately wanted to be a part of. Each day of school involved a new tribulation, each recess involved a new adventure. What was so great about this childhood show was the fact that every character played a distinctive role in the group and each had their time to shine. They were all equally as important, and though they fought, the show was always equipped with a moral that usually translated into the worth of ourselves and the worth of our friends. It is still a fervent hope of mine that they decide to make a high school edition with the same characters. One day, one day.

4. Even Stevens

Who could say no to some vintage Shia LaBeouf? Especially when he played the immature, rebellious and usually crude Louis Stevens. This was in direct contrast was older sister Ren, the picture of perfection with her excellent marks and constant school involvement. Though the other characters such as the parents, older brother and respective best friends were all important to the comedic theme, the main focus was always Ren and Louis and their difficult relationship. From the ridiculousness of Louis’ antics to the never dull sibling struggles, the family love that prevailed ultimately always managed to reconcile everything. Even Stevens was definitely a Disney favourite. 

Any shows you particularly loved and miss terribly now? Let us know in the comments below!

Photo Sources:

http://www.digitalspy.ca/ustv/…