86th Annual Academy Awards: 10 Best Dressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

It all came down to this: the culmination of weeks of award shows, television specials and spirited debates (arguments) among friends, colleagues and even complete strangers. After all the build up and anxious waiting, the Acadamy awards night arrived. The Oscars is a whirlwind of glitter and glamour, at once an overwhelming parade of celebrity. If you got lost in Leo DiCaprio’s eyes, or couldn’t see anything past Jared Leto’s ombre hair, we’ve got you covered. Here’s our list of the 10 best dressed at the 2014 Oscar’s.

1. Lupita Nyong’o

Source: PA

We all knew it was coming. Lupita Nyong’o has been absolutely rocking it this entire awards season, and her Prada gown may be her best yet. Nyong’o reportedly said the blue reminded her of Nairobi. Lupita won Best Actress in a Supporting Role in that dress. You go girl!

1. Olivia Wilde

Source: Getty Images

Olivia Wilde kept it sleek and simple on the red carpet, with a high necked, black Valentino number. It was loose, but fitted, showing off Wilde’s baby bump gorgeously. We all hope we can look half as good pregnant.

1. Amy Adams

Source: PA

Amy Adams exuded retro glamour on the red carpet. Her navy, custom-made Gucci gown fitted her nicely, and was accented beautifully by her Tiffany earrings. Adams said she was channeling Kim Novak through her hairstyle, which tied the old school feel of the oh-so-perfectly.

1. Naomi Watts

Source: Getty Images

Naomi Watts can always be counted on to look stunning on the red carpet. That is a fact. This year, she donned a white gown by Calvin Klein Collection for the Oscars. She paired it with gorgeous jewels and straight, sleek hair. Altogether, one word: breathtaking.

1. Cate Blanchett

Source: Getty Images

Like the Golden Globes, Cate Blanchett donned Armani for the red carpet, but this time her gown was a stunning white. The heavy adornments paired with the actress’ jewelry together gave off a chandelier impression. Shine on, Cate.[pagebreak]

1. Kerry Washington

Source: AP Images

Kerry Washington’s pregnancy style is off the charts. Her Jason Wu gown was to die for, and the only word that came to mind when the presenter stepped on the carpet was goddess, especially with her half-down, wavy hair.

1. Jennifer Lawrence

Source: AP Images

We all love ourselves some Jennifer Lawrence, especially in bright red Dior. Lawrence’s gown was fitted, styled and just plain gorgeous. Here’s hoping Lawrence’s love affair with Dior lasts a long, long time.

1. Charlize Theron

Source: Getty Images

Stunning. Stunning. Stunning. That is literally all that can be said about Charlize Theron in Dior. All that’s missing is her smile.

1. Margot Robbie

Source: Getty images

Black gowns were definitely having a moment on the red carpet, and Margot Robbie’s Saint Laurent frock put her near the top of the list. She also wins for most dramatic red carpet transformation – check out the brown tresses!

1. Jared Leto

Source: Getty Images

Jared’s hair achieved iconic status early on in the season, but his style has been making headlines as well. White suit jackets were a noticeable trend with the fellas on the red carpet, but Leto’s burgundy bow tie with his white Saint Laurent jacket made him a definite standout, especially when he accepted his award for Best Male Supporting Actor.