56th Annual Grammy Awards: Best Dressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Each year, the Grammy Awards promise red carpet style like no other award show. It’s simply guaranteed that celebs will pull out all sorts of outfits, and Sunday night saw an eclectic mix of fashion: a little crazy, a little rock ‘n’ roll, and a whole lot of glam. It’s difficult to pick only ten standouts from the night, but we’ll try our best:

1. Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift always rocks the red carpet, no matter what show she’s attending. The singer, who was nominated for Album of the Year, donned an incredible Gucci gown, complete with gold mesh and glitter for days. There’s never anything wrong with a little bit of sparkle.

(Photo Credit: Lester Cohen/WireImage)

1. Rita Ora

Keeping the shine going on the red carpet was Rita Ora, who looked fearless and confident in a short and tight Lanvin dress. The green colour is unusual, but when combined with Ora’s platinum blonde locks and smoky eye makeup, it was young, hot, and totally rock ‘n’ roll.

(Photo Credit: Lester Cohen/WireImage)

1. Ciara

This awards season has seen the unexpected trend of expecting: that is, the baby bump had a prominent presence on the Golden Globes carpet, and was seen at the Grammys as well. Ciara’s  stunning Emilio Pucci gown hugs her body beautifully, showing off her baby bump. The gown colour complemented Ciara’s glowing skin wonderfully, and she paired it with a natural makeup look. When she first appeared on the carpet, the only descriptive word that fit was goddess.

(Photo Credit: Lester Cohen/WireImage)

1. Anna Kendrick

The ladies on the red carpet were a mix of hard rock to sweet femininity. Kendrick, a presenter that night, fit into the latter category. Her pale purple-greyish Azzaro gown is sweet made sexy by strategic cutouts and a high leg slit. Not to mention the side swept hair and simple silver jewelry. Perfect.

(Photo Credit: Lester Cohen/WireImage)

[pagebreak]

1. Ariana Grande

Ariana Grande floral Dolce and Gabbana dress not only looked beautiful on, but was age appropriate and perfectly matched her girly style. It helps that her satin shoes are super cute, as well. Way to work, Ariana.

(Photo Credit: Lester Cohen/WireImage)

1. Anna Ferris

Anna Ferris kept it simple and classy at the Grammys. The actress and presenter wore a gorgeous navy blue Fitriani gown and left her hair sleek and straight. Altogether, the look is polished and elegant, and stands out from the glitz seen on the carpet.

(Photo Credit: Lester Cohen/WireImage)

1. Katy Perry

Katy Perry’s straight off the runway Valentino gown inspired a great deal of debate over Twitter when she first arrived at the red carpet. The nominee and performer took a risk with the notational dress, but ultimately it payed off beautifully. Perry looked amazing. She was certainly the most memorable look of the night. Also, we are completely obsessed with her updo.

(Photo Credit: Larry Busacca/WireImage)

1. Madonna

Here’s the thing about Madonna’s look of the night: it was a risk and it had a love-it-or-hate-it reception. The performer’s Ralph Lauren suit received mixed reviews, but it worked well on her (and her son!), giving a nod to the gender bending trend that took the spotlight on the runways this past year. It’s yet to be confirmed if she actually needed her cane, or if it was simply a classy accessory.

With son David. (Photo Credit: Jeff Vespa/WireImage)

1. Kedrick Lamar

There always needs to be at least one guy mentioned on the best dressed list, and the place for the Grammys goes to none other than Kendrick Lamar. The rapper and seven-time nominee rocked a smooth blue suit and an easy smile on the red carpet. Be right back, swooning.

(Photo Credit: Larry Busacca/WireImage)