Life > Academics

5 Tips For Students Trying To Survive Carleton’s Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

April is here and things are getting hectic! Whether you’re a first-year or a fourth-year, everyone is feeling the stress of finals approaching. It is easy to get overwhelmed and grow anxious as you watch the assignments and exams start to pile up. Luckily, you’re not alone in these struggles. These five study tips have got your back as you dive into finals season.

1. TAKE BREAKS

As much as studying is important, it is equally as important to take care of your mental and physical well-being. Taking breaks from your studying to spend time with family and friends, get some fresh air, and make some coffee or tea can be super beneficial! Carleton is beautifully located along the Rideau Canal. And although it wasn’t open to skate this year, the walking paths along the sides of the canal have been open all year long! Go for a nice walk along the canal by yourself or with a friend, to clear your head and get some fresh air before returning to your studies. 

2. Ask for help

Throughout your studying, when you are confused and have questions, ask your TAs and professors for guidance! They know the material best. Carleton also has a Centre for Student Academic Success (CSAS). CSAS offers writing services, learning support, peer-assisted study sessions (PASS), and online resources. Using the tools provided by the university will help with your studying and make you feel supported as an academic. 

3. Make a routine

It’s easy to find yourself studying for hours on end with no breaks in sight. Making a routine and sticking to it will help you balance your study time, with your personal time, time with friends and family, when to get some food, and when to relax! Some apps that help with sticking to a routine are Google Calendar which can help time block your day, and Memo to make sticky notes outlining the day’s tasks. If you prefer paper, an agenda will give you the space to plan every detail of your day!

4. Find which study method works best for you

Everybody learns and studies material differently. What works for you might be the complete opposite for your roommate or the person sitting next to you. My favourite way of studying is to pretend like I am teaching a class by reading my notes out loud as if I am explaining them to an audience. But that doesn’t work for everyone. Research and try out different study methods such as the SQ3R method, Brain Dumping, and the Pomodoro Technique to try and find the best and most efficient method for you.

5. Change of scenery

Studying in your room can be easy and comfortable. But sometimes, a change of scenery is all you need to get those creative juices flowing. Head to the library, a coffee shop, a friend or family member’s house, or pick your favourite building on campus. Studying in a new environment can help you feel more creative, and even boost your mental health!

With these tips, you are setting yourself up for a successful exam season. You got this. Good luck!

Cassandra is one of the associate editors at Her Campus at Carleton. So any articles that get published on HCC are reviewed by her and the other members of the editorial team. Cassandra is there to support HCC writers throughout the writing process, so feel free to reach out to her with any questions! Outside of Her Campus Carleton, Cassandra contributes to Carleton's independent newspaper, The Charlatan, as a volunteer writer, photographer, and copy editor. She is also the vice president of academics on Carleton's Journalism Society, where she works to ensure journalism students have access to academic resources. Cassandra is currently a second year journalism and political science student. In her free time, Cassandra enjoys reading and spending time with friends. She loves listening to Fiona Apple, Mazzy Star, and The Smiths! Cassandra is also obsessed with The New Yorker and is a self-proclaimed sudoku expert.