4 THINGS TO DO IN OTTAWA TO GET YOU IN THE HOLIDAY MOOD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

For some reason, Ottawa tends to get a bad rap for “never having anything to do” or “being boring.” Coming from a small town in Eastern Ontario, when I started coming to Ottawa more for Carleton, I thought the city was great! With endless options of activities, restaurants, movies, and concerts to see and attend – so I’d like to make a case for Ottawa and show that we do have fun things to do! Especially during the holidays.

1. Lansdowne Christmas Market

This is the perfect market to get you in the mood! Located in Aberdeen Square in Lansdowne (just a 20-minute walk from Carleton – and no, it’s not that far, you all did it for Panda), this market has around 35 vendors, all in adorable snow-capped heritage buildings and wooden chalets. You can grab a hot drink, pick up some crafty gifts for your friends and family, and take in the various entertainments, including concerts and ice skating. There are hundreds of Christmas lights and twinkling decorations perfect to snap a cute pic.

My favourite part? The giant Christmas tree is covered in lights! It truly makes me feel like I’m in some winter wonderland or an Ottawa-version New York Christmas. It’s on every weekend (Friday to Sunday) until December 18th, and opens a few extra days leading up to December 23rd. Definitely worth a stop!

2. Winter Lights Across Canada

These digital lights on Parliament Hill are a perfect view during your nightly walk after dinner in town. Though they aren’t the most exciting thing on the planet, it’s a perfect way to end off the night and enjoy a short, free show. It combines digital imagery with a soundtrack to display a short holiday media piece, taking you across Canada. It’s especially nice to walk by the hundreds of lights on the trees around Centertown and the Byward market on your way there, especially if you have a hot chocolate in hand!

It’s become a new tradition in my family, but it’s also a perfect way to end a first date or walk around our beautiful city after a girl’s night out. It will be on continuous display from Thursday to Monday nights between 5:30 and 11:00 pm (it is not displayed on Tuesday and Wednesday nights) until January 8th, so you have lots of time to check it out!

3. Elf’s Pub at Fairmont Château Laurier

O.M.G. This is such an amazing way to get in that holiday spirit! The Elf’s Pub is a hidden Christmas pop-up in the Fairmont Château Laurier. The holiday-themed cocktails, a festive drink menu, and mind-blowing decorations should be enough to convince you to go visit. There are hundreds of Christmas ornaments covering almost the entire space: from a candy cane-striped bar to the ceiling of hanging ornaments and the perfect red throne to snap a pic with your besties, this is the ultimate holiday bar that will have you spreading Christmas cheer.

Plus, who doesn’t love pretending to be a fancy 20-something-year-old at the Château Laurier? It’s extremely fun to be posh and grab a few drinks while being stunned by amazing decorations. It’s open on select days until January 1 after 6:00 pm, so make sure to stop by before it ends!

4. Take a Flight with Santa Over Parliament

Yep, read that again. You can fly in an airplane with Santa Clause over Parliament! It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience IMO. Even if you’re not a fan of Santa Clause himself, the chance to fly over the Parliament buildings with your best friends or family is an absolutely amazing experience. Through Ottawa Aviation Adventures, you can pay as little as $40 to catch a short flight over Ottawa and see our beautiful city from above. Book your flights quickly though – these are sure to fill up fast. Note that there must be a minimum of two passengers ($50/person) and a maximum of three passengers ($40/person) on each flight.

I’m sure at least one of these activities will be on your Christmas list. They are sure to get you into the holiday spirit and ready to spend time with the ones you love.

Rachel Fiset

Carleton '23

Rachel is a Journalism and Political Science combined honours student. She loves to write, read, and learn any way she can! Rachel enjoys keeping busy, and along with HerCampus is involved with The Charlatan, CKCU 93.1 FM, Book Ravens, and the Campus Activity Board.