This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

New year, new semester — it’s the perfect time for goal-setting. However, we all know how challenging it can be to actually achieve our ambitions, especially occupation-wise. As university students, we spend countless hours stressed about the future, wondering what we can do to help us reach our career objectives. 

One strategy? Attending industry events related to your field. Going to keynote addresses, panels, and conferences is a low-commitment, easy way to engage with your future career and gain knowledge and experience that will be advantageous as you work through your Carleton degree and start looking for employment.

Here are five reasons why you should start going to industry events in your prospective field while you are still studying at Carleton University:

Accessibility

Carleton University’s involvement in hosting keynotes, panels, and conferences means that many of these presentations are held on campus (and now thanks to COVID-19, online). They are well-promoted through the university calendar and social media, on Brightspace, and through department emails, so finding and attending events related to your future career is simple and convenient. As a Carleton student, attendance is usually free and you may even have opportunities to contact your professors or department administrators and get involved in events as a volunteer usher or photographer. 

Finally, keynotes and panels are usually on one-time, evening occasions, so they fit around most class schedules easily. Also, attending industry events is entirely at your convenience, and doesn’t have to add extra stress to your life when you are busy with your studies.  

Networking

If you are unsure where to start networking, industry events are the perfect opportunity. You can connect with other students in your program (study buddies!) and upper-year students who can give insight into your future courses. Your professors and other program administrators may also be present at these events, and introducing yourself outside of the classroom is a fantastic way to start building a positive rapport. 

Keynotes, panels, and conferences are most importantly ideal chances to meet Carleton alumni, members of the public involved in your field, and event speakers. By attending and engaging in conversation with these individuals, you will practice your networking skills and start meeting people who could be highly influential in helping you launch your dream career. 

Connecting Classroom and real-world Knowledge

Being passionate about your university program doesn’t mean your courses are always fun or interesting, especially if they are filled with long readings and theoretical knowledge that you don’t seem to need. Attending keynotes, panels, and conferences allows you to see how the topics and concepts you study in class are actually put into practice in your field, which can open your eyes to new ways of translating your degree into a career.

Additionally, connecting your classroom knowledge and the practical knowledge presented by event speakers reinforces your retention of the material, which will serve you during exams, and also expands your understanding, so you can discuss subjects more profoundly in assignments and essays. Listening to enthusiastic experts and influential people in your field speak about their work may also reignite your interest in your program. Consequently, your renewed motivation to learn and understand the information taught in class will be reflected in better grades. 

Engaging With the Change in Your Field

Today’s industries are rapidly developing, and that evolution might not be immediately reflected in the lecture hall. Keynote addresses, panels, and conferences highlight key topics, debates, and innovations in academia and the workforce as they happen, so attending these events will keep you updated on the ways your field is changing as you study. Consequently, you will have more insight into what your industry will look like when you graduate, and you will have the advantage of familiarity with the technologies, practices, and discoveries that will become commonplace in your future work. Additionally, engaging with the events that discuss today’s industry shifts enables you to participate in shaping the future of the field in which you might establish a long-term career. 

Going Beyond Your Field

University isn’t just about getting a degree—it’s about becoming an intelligent, critical-thinking, well-rounded participant in society. Attending keynotes and conferences that are not directly related to your future career is an exciting way to explore your other interests, and again, Carleton hosts and promotes a variety of these events and admission is usually free. By going beyond your program, you will be able to create a diverse network of acquaintances and friends that extends beyond your industry, and you will discover fascinating subjects and concepts that may have unique and interesting connections to your own degree and future work. 

Final Thoughts (and a Bonus!)

Attending industry events is an amazing opportunity to start integrating into your future field while engaging with your learning as a university student. The bonus? These events are even more fun when you wear your favourite business casual outfit, grab a friend in your program, and enjoy complimentary post-event snacks—all while knowing that you could be one step closer to your dream career.

Maia Tustonic is HerCampus Carleton’s Events Director for the 2023/24 academic year. She oversees and manages the hosting of social gatherings and philanthropic events designed to engage both HCC members and the greater Carleton community in HerCampus’ mission and values. As a HerCampus Carleton contributor, Maia writes about entertainment, lifestyle, and women’s and 2SLGBTQ+ issues. Beyond HerCampus, Maia has previously worked as a Communications Assistant with YouthWrite Society Canada and a Content Writer for Desserts App. During the academic year, she enjoys engaging with the Carleton University community, and volunteers her time with the Campus Activity Board and as a notetaker for the Paul Menton Centre. Maia is also a reporter for the Charlatan, Carleton’s independent news publication, where she contributes to national and news coverage relevant to the university’s students. Currently in her second year of undergraduate studies, Maia is pursuing a Combined Honours degree in Journalism and Political Science, with a concentration in International Relations and World Politics. She is a 2023 recipient of Carleton University’s Sparks Family Undergraduate Scholarship in Journalism. As both a committed news junkie and pop culture girlie, Maia is happy to get lost in conversations about everything from Canadian foreign policy to the latest celebrity scandal. When not following a story, Maia can be found catching up on her TBR list, watching F1 racing, or humming and dancing to her favourite songs.