4 unique Ottawa date ideas perfect for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

If Valentine’s Day wasn’t a high-pressure day before, it certainly is now! 2023 marks the first year since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic that Valentine’s Day festivities are not confined to your home or sitting in theatres six feet apart. With the world returning to a version of normal, this Valentine’s Day is extra special. But don’t worry: we’ve got four unique ideas to make this February 14th a night to remember for you and your partner. 

Haunted tour

Okay… before you roll your eyes, just hear me out first! Horror movies are a date night classic– the fear and jump scares usually result in couples burying their heads in each others’ shoulders and is a great excuse to cuddle up. Now, take that situation and move it to the real world. Grab your bae’s arm as you embark on this tour together. No, this date idea may not be for the faint of heart, but it sure is unique!

Check out Ottawa’s The Haunted Walk, and pick a tour best suited to you both.

rolled ice cream

If you’ve been on social media at all in the past year or so, you’ve likely come across at least one rolled ice cream video. These super-satisfying videos are both fun to watch, and the ice cream looks delicious! Check out the Roll’d Up Dessert Lounge located in Lansdowne Park to see this food-turned-entertainment in action. Watch your personalized ice cream being made, then sit and enjoy each other’s company while also enjoying a sweet treat! 

VIP movie 

Despite being advertised across the building and online, many people I know who were born and raised in Ottawa have (surprisingly) never heard of the VIP option at the Cineplex theatre in Lansdowne. While this is definitely a more pricey option than a regular movie night, I think it makes for a great date night on a special occasion. Plus, you can get dinner, drinks, dessert and a movie all in one place! 

Once you book your tickets, be sure to arrive early so you can get to the exclusive lounge and purchase drinks and appetizers before the show starts. Once your VIP Cinema opens, be sure to order your main course along with your favourite movie treats, which you can enjoy while watching. Did I mention that the seats are WAY more comfortable than in a typical theatre? Also, the VIP experience is 19+, meaning you won’t have to worry about any screaming children. 

Build a Minifigure 

Are you or your partner LEGO fans? If so, then this idea is perfect! Head to Ottawa’s LEGO store in the CF Rideau Centre and build each other as a Minifigure! You can either work together to create a perfectly curated representation of you as a couple or challenge yourselves to make each other and keep it a surprise until the end. 

This is undoubtedly a quirky idea, but it can also be a super fun time, and you leave with a token of your memorable time together! 

Have a unique Valentine’s Day idea I didn’t list? DM us your favs @hccarleton on IG to be featured!

Jenna Legge

Carleton '24