3 Spots On Carleton’s Campus You Might Not Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

As I prepare for my last semester at Carleton, I’ve decided to share the spots on campus I’ve grown to love, including my favourite study spots and places to eat. Some of these spots are specific to programs or faculties, but are actually open to all students! I’m not one to gatekeep – here are three spots at Carleton University you might not know about. 

1. Leo’s Lounge

If you’re not a STEM major, you might not know about this small convenience store at 3342 Mackenzie Building (I’m a journalism/political science major, and many of my peers and I didn’t know this place existed until our 4th year!). 

The store is run by engineering students and serves as their student lounge, though anyone can go in and purchase something to eat or drink. They have a huge variety of drinks, teas, and snacks, and even small meals like sandwiches and my favourite, tandoori cheese-stuffed naan. Best of all, it’s all very affordable! You can get a coffee and a snack for less than $5. 

2. The Reader’s Digest Resource Centre

Journalism students’ best-kept secret, this lounge is located on the 4th floor of Richcraft Hall. Anyone can go in and meet with their friends or even book a private room. Because the lounge is geared towards journalism students, there are up-to-date copies of national newspapers and magazines available to read. My favourite area is the silent study room, which is a great place to get work done. 

3. Page Break (Starbucks) at MacOdrum Library

While the Starbucks itself is not a secret, behind the barista section there’s a couch and bar that’s *almost* hidden away from view. It’s a great place to enjoy a drink with friends or to treat yourself to a tasty treat after a study session on the 5th floor of MacOdrum. Head’s up: you can’t collect or redeem Starbucks points at any of the locations on campus! 

These are just a few of my favourite places to hang out at Carleton’s campus, all three of which I didn’t even know existed until my third year. Now that I’m graduating in a few months, I’m not only going to say goodbye to school, but all the times I’ve spent panic-studying or chilling with these friends at these spots.

Know a place on Carleton’s campus you want to share? Let us know @HCcarleton!

Rianna Lim

Carleton '23

Rianna Lim is a journalism and political science double major at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. She is a former Her Campus National Writer and the 2022-23 editor-in-chief of Her Campus at Carleton (and loving it!). She is a passionate reader, London fog lover, and baseball fan. Follow her on Twitter @riannalim02!