20 Signs You Go To Carleton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Carleton chapter.

Every university and college has their own set of special qualities and quirks. But, for some reason you still love your school with all your heart, and couldn’t imagine yourself anywhere else. You’ve turned down offers from other universities, and chose (let’s face it) the best one. To myself and thousands of others, that’s Carleton.

Now, I don’t know about you, but I’ve tried multiple times to tell other people about Carleton. Stories like the giant unnecessary ramp to Tory in the tunnels, the campus that feels like its own island, or the fact that the buses seems to run on their own schedules. Most of the stories weren’t successfully told because there’s just something that’s uniquely understood among us Ravens, those “Carleton” things.

Here’s a list of things that only a Carleton student would understand;

1. Your classes begin at awkward times like :05 or :35 and end at :25 or :55

2. If you’re not in journalism, or engineering, people ask you why you chose Carleton

3. You hate OttawaU and you don’t know why, but you just do…

4. …and you still don’t know what a GeeGee is

5. “Next stop: Carleton; Prochain arrêt: Carleton”

6. Missing your bus at Minto and sprinting to Athletics

7. Speaking of running…what about getting to your other class all the way across campus in 10 minutes?

8. Knowing how to get to all your classes without using any of the hundred staircases

9. Considering the amount of stairs and inclines on campus as your daily workout

10. You’ve gotten stuck in the UC- Tory traffic jam at least three times

11. You’re extremely thankful for the tunnels (even if they do get a little stuffy and smelly)

12. But even though those tunnels exist, you don’t bother going to class in the dead of winter

13. Thirsty Thursdays at Ollies means no classes on Friday

14. You go to MacOdrum for the peace and quiet, only to be serenaded by power drills and hammers

15. The never ending lines at Scotiabank, Tim Hortons, Starbucks, and Subway

16. Short shorts guy is the infamous campus celebrity

17. You gave the groundhogs on campus names

18. You’re addicted to Spotted @ Carleton U

19. Election week is your least favourite week of the year (did you vote? Did you vote? DID  YOU?!)

20. And to you, it doesn’t matter what people say. Because Carleton will always be the best

Jasmine Williams is a fourth-year Journalism major, pursuing a minor in Film Studies at Carleton University. An internship at a recently launched online magazine prepared her for her new, exciting role as Campus Correspondent for Carleton University. She is never too far away from her iPhone and in her spare time, you can find her scrolling through various tumblr blogs while listening to Kings of Leon. After university, she hopes to pursue a career in online journalism.