lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Perfect Valentine’s Day Restaurants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cardiff chapter.

We girls love to eat out; saying no to a Nandos, Wagamama or even that drunken kebab on your way home at 3am, and there’s no better excuse to indulge on food and spend those last pennies of your overdraft than on Valentine’s Day. Whether you are enjoying the day with your fellow singletons or someone special put those saucepans down and get dining.

Here are five great Cardiff restaurants for your picking.

Prezzo

Went a little overboard on drinks in the SU this week? Never fear, a Valentine’s meal need not break the bank; Prezzo offers a delicious three course meal with a glass of Prosecco for just £19.95. Some of the delicious starters include grilled goats cheese, bruschetta and calamari, with main dishes such as king prawn risotto and penne al pollo, finishing off with seriously tempting honeycomb cheesecake and sticky toffee pudding desserts – it’s about time to treat yourself! 

Click here for the full menu and reserve a table.

Chapel 1877

If you are looking for somewhere to impress, then Chapel 1877 is the place to go. With its luxury medieval yet contemporary surroundings, it is truly a unique wining and dining experience. Starters on the à la carte menu include chicken liver and foie gras parfait and a Cornish crab lasagne; main dishes range from £13-£23 and boast mouth-watering dishes like pan fried black bream fillet and roasted pork belly. The excellent food matches the beautiful decor of this top restaurant, and the night needn’t end at dessert; the Chapel’s endless variety of fruity, boozy cocktails means it would be sinful not to head down to the bar! 

Pearl of the Orient

For the romantics out there or if you just enjoy consuming your body weight in Chinese cuisine, Pearl of the Orient is the place to be on the 14th of February. Scenically situated at Cardiff Bay’s Mermaid Quay, live piano music fills the room while you indulge in spring rolls and prawn crackers. The restaurant currently offers two set menus of £18 and £22 for two courses, both being undeniably mouth-watering; these include the classic dishes of spare ribs and spring rolls to start, followed by crispy chicken in sweet chilli sauce and fish in black bean sauce for main courses.  If that still hasn’t swayed you, there’s also the offer of two cocktails for £10 and walk off that food baby by with a romantic walk on the bay side -ahhh…

Cibo

Quaint, intimate and cosy, Cibo is a real authentic Italian restaurant hidden away from the bustle of the busy town center. This adorable restaurant is offering a yummy Valentine’s menu with food starting at a very reasonable £6.50 for starters and £11.50 for mains. Starters include fresh asparagus wrapped in parma ham and smoked salmon, and fresh swordfish and breaded chicken escalope as main courses. This great little gem is situated in Pontcanna, close to Bute Park, and with both Llandaf fields and Bute park just minutes away, it’s perfect for (yet another!) romantic VD stroll. 

Click here for the full menu and reserve a table

Cosy Club

An all-time favourite, this cute little desination never disappoints. Whether you fancy a Valentine’s Day brunch, lunch or romantic dinner, Cosy club does it all; its eclectic Art-Deco interior is the perfect backdrop to what is sure to be a belly-satisfying meal. Cosy Club is offering a great VD special of three courses for just £24.95 (not forgetting complimentary coffee and chocolates!), with hearty starters of cumin-roasted parsnip soup and ham hock terrine, and mains including mussels marinière and 8oz sirloin steak.  A very tempting dessert menu lists sticky toffee pudding and rum and Belgian chocolate mousse among others. Ideally located just around the corner from Mill Lane and its cocktail bars, this is a great spot for couples and single pringles alike. 

Emily is a third year student of Law and French and a food and fashion junkie. Born and bred in the capital of Wales, she has all the latest goss on what Cardiff has to offer. Currently experiencing la vie française in Toulouse, she can often be spotted indulging at the local patisserie or having a 'sophisticated' night sampling France's finest wine.