3 Student-Friendly Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cardiff chapter.

It’s still grey and gloomy outside, but now that Christmas has passed and exams are over it’s officially time to start planning your summer. Even if you’re cramming in working hours or have bagged an internship, there are still plenty of cheap and easy holiday destinations to get some much needed chill time. Here’s our pick of summer holidays that won’t break the bank. 

A few days roughing it in a tent is nothing to the dirt that can mount in your student digs, so a festival is the perfect trip. Pack your bags and head to Croatia for Hideout, Unknown and Outlook; three incredible festivals and with ticket prices starting as low as £129 there’s no reason not to experience beautiful Croatia, feel the sun and party to a great line up of music.

Another top student getaway is Amsterdam; this beautiful city has so much to offer to suit all tastes, and with hostels in abundance it’s easy to stick to a low budget. Tap into your cultural side by visiting famous artworks at the Van Gogh Museum or experience the fascinating house of Anne Frank. Canal Boat Tours and Coffee Shops might also tickle your fancy if you prefer a more chilled approach. If you’re feeling more adventurous, purchase an inter-rail ticket for as little as €184 and continue your European adventure. 

If you fancy venturing outside the realms of Europe, Brazil is the place to be; a place known for gathering huge crowds for carnivals, it proves that festivals are about more than just the music. With a string of parties happening in succession around the city, it’s perfect for living out of a backpack and experiencing some culture. Festivals start as early as February so you don’t have to wait until the height of summer to party; Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, Olinda and Recife being some of the best carnivals to visit.

My name is Lydia, I am aged 20 and currently studying Philosophy at Cardiff University. I love University life and am a member of Cardiff's first team for cheer-leading.