We All Scream for Spice Cream: Sunni Sky’s Infamous Cold Sweat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Campbell chapter.

Every small town has something that they are proud of, something they can call their very own.  Sometimes it is as simple as “the world’s best piece of pie” or it could be so special that it actually made the whole town famous.  Here in the Buies Creek area, we are extremely proud of our very own Sunni Sky’s Homemade Ice Cream shop.  Named after his two children, Sunni and Skylar, owner Scott Wilson has quite an imagination when it comes to his ice cream flavors.  Of all the fantastic ideas he has come up with, there are two that put his tiny little ice cream parlor on the national food map!

Cold sweat and exit wound ice cream are two of the oddest ice cream flavors ever invented.  The ingredients of these unusual masterpieces are just as peculiar as their names. They include pecan peppers, tai chilies, and habaneros, which are all sure to set your mouth ablaze! That is not all though! The peppers are marinated in “Mega Death Hot sauce,” “Insanity Sauce,” and last but most certainly not least…the ice cream itself is seasoned with ghost chili sauce! With such a deadly recipe, these ice creams could not help but attract national attention.  Adam Gertler, from the hit Food Network Show “Kid in a Candy Store,” had to see (and taste!) for himself what this ice cream is all about!  He was able to go shopping with Scott Wilson for the ingredients and whip up a batch.  Being the brave – or crazy, depending how you look at it – soul that he is, Adam decided to have a cone of cold sweat ice cream.  He had to sign the waiver, just as any of those who dare tempt to eat it do and Scott Wilson gave him the same advice I have heard him give to countless others,

“Chew. The. Peppers.
Or you’ll regret it later!”

Just one bite of this “spice-cream” had Adams mouth in a tizzy.  The treat is an extreme contradiction with the cold, refreshing feel of the ice cream and the fiery-hot inferno of the peppers. 

Food Network was not the only station wanting the inside scoop surrounding the mystery of Cold Sweat ice cream.  A radio station in Boston sent a special request for a pint of the delicacy so one of their hosts could try it on the air!  His listeners, as well as his coworkers, were busting at the seams as the partaker could not handle more than a small spoonful before he began jumping around the station trying anything to cool his tongue!

For those of us Collegiettes™ who cannot stand the heat (or would really just like to enjoy our tasty treat), Sunni Sky’s has other wonderful flavors as well.  Ranging over 90 different creations, this place has something for everyone! Three of their top sellers are pretty basic in just about every single ice cream shop ever made:  vanilla, chocolate, and cookies and cream.  However, if you have some advanced taste buds you just have to try oat meal cookie, peach cobbler, or pumpkin pie! 

So if you are ever passing through or even coming remotely close, you should make a stop at one of the best ice cream shops in the world! Not that we are biased or anything.

Watch these videos of people trying Cold Sweat and the behind-the-scenes Food Network premier:

Kid In a Candy Store (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL9vXAih2HI)

Channel 17 Report (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL9vXAih2HI)

Rudy Thomas is a junior communications studies major with a concentration in public relations at Campbell University. With skills in public relations, organization, and communication, Rudy is ready to take on the world of non-profit work in the field of rescue shelters and women's homes. She will be marrying the love her life in December and cannot wait to serve her Lord and Savior with her future husband. Rudy loves her pink glitter Toms, getting to know everyone, and hanging out with her family and friends.